title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Computer restarts/dBPowerAmp crashes converting WMA to MP3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joshley
    • Dec 2004

Computer restarts/dBPowerAmp crashes converting WMA to MP3

Hey!

I am having serious problems trying to convert my collection from WMA into MP3; everytime I do, it get's through a few files, maybe 5-20 and then either my computer just immediately restarts or dBPowerAmp crashes. When it crashes, the Windows XP error info reports that the error occurred in wmadmod.dll. Does anyone have ANY idea what is/might be causing this?! Obviously it's a wma dll, but that's about as much as I know!
    Oh, when I get back into Windows, if it restarted, I have a 'Windows has just recovered from a serious error' message... Help!

Thanks,
    Josh
  • adaywayne
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2004

Re: Computer restarts/dBPowerAmp crashes converting WMA to MP3

Originally posted by joshley
    Hey!

I am having serious problems trying to convert my collection from WMA into MP3; everytime I do, it get's through a few files, maybe 5-20 and then either my computer just immediately restarts or dBPowerAmp crashes. When it crashes, the Windows XP error info reports that the error occurred in wmadmod.dll. Does anyone have ANY idea what is/might be causing this?! Obviously it's a wma dll, but that's about as much as I know!
    Oh, when I get back into Windows, if it restarted, I have a 'Windows has just recovered from a serious error' message... Help!

Thanks,
    Josh
    wmadmod.dll is a system file used by Windows Media Player. Unless you are trying to convert copy-protected wma files, ( which you can't) I would try uninstalling and reinstalling WMP.

Comment

• neilthecellist
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2004

and it won't matter which version of Media Player you have. Version 9 and 10 use the same audio codec version. Version 9.

Comment

• joshley
        • Dec 2004

Hey ppl, thanks for the replies before, sorry it took ages to reply but my computer went through some severe surgery.. Anyway! I completely totally and utterly removed and reinstalled WMP, but to no avail. Now the dll causing the problem is apparantly 'ntldll.dll'. Anyone have any idea? It's causing me hell, I have thousands of songs to convert and dBpowerAMP keeps dying! I've uninstalled and reinstalled dBpowerAMP and all it's codecs, but again, to no avail. I tried doing it in safe mode, and it got about 450 files done (better than 15!) and then crashed again. Then I tried again and only 89. Arg! I don't wanna format my hdd and reinstall Windows! Any suggestions would be grand!
        Thanks in advance
        josh

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

It sounds like you have a heat problem. Try running the conversions with the side off and a floor fan blowing into the case.

Comment

• joshley
            • Dec 2004

LtData, you know what? I've fixed a thousand problems on a thousand PCs, I've restored PCs from the pits of hell and performed heart bypasses on Windows machines of all walks of life and (bso)death, but I would NEVER have thought it was my CPU overheating. You're a genius, thankyou! When you think about it; restarting, inconsistent running times, crashing.. it all fits in. But I just wouldn't have thought of it! I turned the fan-speed up to full on my Zalman CPU fan and voila! I think I'll have to take it out and check that the thermal paste is properly on there; I seem to remember it being quite thin when I temporarily took it out to test another CPU.
            Again, a million thankyous! :D
            josh

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

LtData, you know what? I've fixed a thousand problems on a thousand PCs, I've restored PCs from the pits of hell and performed heart bypasses on Windows machines of all walks of life and (bso)death, but I would NEVER have thought it was my CPU overheating. You're a genius, thankyou! When you think about it; restarting, inconsistent running times, crashing.. it all fits in. But I just wouldn't have thought of it! I turned the fan-speed up to full on my Zalman CPU fan and voila! I think I'll have to take it out and check that the thermal paste is properly on there; I seem to remember it being quite thin when I temporarily took it out to test another CPU.
              Again, a million thankyous! :D
              josh
              Not a problem. Just remember that whenever you remove the heatsink from the CPU, you MUST put a new thermal interface material between them.

And its always the simple things that we overlook.

Comment

• adaywayne
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2004

Hey ppl, thanks for the replies before, sorry it took ages to reply but my computer went through some severe surgery.. Anyway! I completely totally and utterly removed and reinstalled WMP, but to no avail. Now the dll causing the problem is apparantly 'ntldll.dll'. Anyone have any idea? It's causing me hell, I have thousands of songs to convert and dBpowerAMP keeps dying! I've uninstalled and reinstalled dBpowerAMP and all it's codecs, but again, to no avail. I tried doing it in safe mode, and it got about 450 files done (better than 15!) and then crashed again. Then I tried again and only 89. Arg! I don't wanna format my hdd and reinstall Windows! Any suggestions would be grand!
                Thanks in advance
                josh
                Did you mean to type ntdll.dll ? If so, are you by any chance running Windows NT or 2000? If so, take a look at this...http://securityresponse.symantec.com...3.17.2003.html

Comment

• joshley
                  • Dec 2004

adaywayne, you're right, well spotted - I did mean to type 'ntdll.dll'; Bloody NTL over here screwing up my typing! Thanks for your warning! I'm not using Windows 2000 or NT, I'm on XP, but well thought of none the less - could well have been the culprit.
                  LtData.. for some reason I'd completely forgotten to apply thermal grease!!! (!!!!). I installed MBM5, realised it was averaging around 55-57 and quickly got scared. Dug out my lil tuny weeny tube of grease, smeared it on the cpu, and now that's dropped to 45-46. Thanks for pointing that out. Occasionally, other CPU intensive occasions were restarting my PC and I just didn't think! :blush: I know 45 is still reasonably high, but I have my Zalman fan on lowest noise possible, on highest considerably lower.
                  Thanks again all!
                  josh

Comment

Working...

]]>