title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

amplifier not strong enough?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danimator
    • Jan 2005

amplifier not strong enough?

I have followed the instructions correctly (I think) and am trying to convert a few old audio tapes to wave as I want to put them onto CD eventually but most importantly I need to have back up copies as they are hypnosis tapes which I frequently need.

When I click on the test recording level button I can see I am connected to the the right sorce as I can control the volume of the tape deck with the on screen slider but I can't get the VU meter to move up - its just flickering just in sight on the lowest possible setting.

I tried to record anyway and the wave file saved but nothing could be heard as I expected. Is there a necessary spec of amplifier required as this is an old 50htz 26 watt tape deck. I do have a decent hi-fi but its nowhere near my pc.

Please help.
  • Wayne
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Aug 2002

Re: amplifier not strong enough?

It sounds like you need to adjust the volume on your PC. Usually when you open the dialog to select the appropriate source (e.g. Line-in) each one has its own volume adjuster. Maybe yours isn't set high enough.

wayne

Comment

• Danimator
      • Jan 2005

Thanks for the reply Wayne but I think its down to me not concentrating on what I'm doing, I had the jacks in the line in sockets - duhh

I'll have to wake up before I try this kind of thing.

The trouble I have now is I haven't got the right cable, all I have is a cable that is like a headphone jack on one end and red and yellow jacks on the other end which would go into stereo L & R line in sockets.

Do I need a certain cable and what would this usually be used for?

Comment

• adaywayne
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Danimator
        Thanks for the reply Wayne but I think its down to me not concentrating on what I'm doing, I had the jacks in the line in sockets - duhh

I'll have to wake up before I try this kind of thing.

The trouble I have now is I haven't got the right cable, all I have is a cable that is like a headphone jack on one end and red and yellow jacks on the other end which would go into stereo L & R line in sockets.

Do I need a certain cable and what would this usually be used for?
        What kind of outputs does your tape deck have? Does it have a built-in amplifier? Does it have spare line-out or tape-out RCA jacks (the ones that your red and yellow RCA plugs would plug into) or just a headphone jack?

The headphone jack you mention...is this a plug or a socket? If a plug, is it a 1/8-inch mini-stereo plug? If so, that is the plug that goes into the line-in jack on your computer.

Comment

• Razgo
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

they are supposed to go in the "line in" to the PC.

the cable you describe you could put the "phono" end into the headphone output on the hi-fi and then the other end you could purchase an adapter to go to your pc. it would allow the 2 prongs to go into the adapter and the other end just has one prong that goes into your "line in" to the pc.

check with your local electronics store and they will have all you need. you could get high quality leads RCA 2 into one cables.
          Last edited by Spoons; January 14, 2005, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• Danimator
            • Jan 2005

Thanks Guys, I'll try and get the right lead tomorrow, pity Tandy went out of bisiness, its just the sort of thing I used to buy from them (I can't see your full details now Razgo but I think you were from Australia and I think I read Tandy still trades over there?), I'll give Currys a go instead and let you know how I get on.

Comment

• Razgo
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

yes, we have tandy http://www.tandy.com.au/cgi-bin/tandy.storefront
              but i usually only use dicksmith http://www.dse.com.au/

let us know how you get on.

Comment

• adaywayne
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Razgo
                yes, we have tandy http://www.tandy.com.au/cgi-bin/tandy.storefront
                but i usually only use dicksmith http://www.dse.com.au/

let us know how you get on.
                Strange world. In Australia, I believe Tandy is owned by Woolworth's Australia Pty. Ltd. But in other (all?) parts of the world, Tandy became Radio Shack.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by adaywayne
                  Strange world. In Australia, I believe Tandy is owned by Woolworth's Australia Pty. Ltd. But in other (all?) parts of the world, Tandy became Radio Shack.
                  In Canada Woolworth's went belly up many years ago. Howeever I think I've always associated Tandy with Radio Shack - Woolworth's here having been little more than a low end family store, certainly no electronics fancier than a regular basic alarm clock. I think they went out of business before cd's had come out on the market or even been heard of.

Comment

• Danimator
                    • Jan 2005

What a friendly (and active) forum you have here, I've enjoyed my visit.

I got the adapter to take the two red and white thingies and voila, we have noise, recording and a good little program. Very pleased with the result which has come out a lot clearer and hiss free than the original recording, has it got some kind of filter built-in?

Anyway great job and thanks for your help all.

Comment

Working...

]]>