title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Sync two folders with different formats?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xja
    • Jan 2004

Sync two folders with different formats?

Sorry if this is obvious, but I haven't figured it out...

Is there a way to synchronize two folders (and all contained subfolders), where one folder contains one format (eg, FLAC) and the other contains all the same songs but in another format (eg, OGG)?

Does any dbPowerAmp program do this? Does any other program do it?
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Sync two folders with different formats?

i don't think so. the idea of synchronizing two folders would to have them identical. there are programs that do this but to sync 2 folders to maintain different content? not sure.

Comment

• Razgo
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

maybe file selector can help somewhat though. have you tried file selector? it might pay to give us an example of how you would use this with a little more detail.
      Last edited by Spoons; January 12, 2005, 05:27 AM.

Comment

• xja
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Razgo
        maybe file selector can help somewhat though. have you tried file selector? it might pay to give us an example of how you would use this with a little more detail.
        Yes, I have used File Selector.

I keep one folder that contains all my music in lossless compressed format (in my case actually WMA Lossless). I rip all my CDs to that folder and when I listen to music on my PC, I listen to those files.

I also listen to music on an iPod and on my Treo cell phone. I prefer AAC 192kbps for my iPod and OGG ~80kbps on my cell phone. I maintain 2 duplicate copies of my music library, one in AAC 192kbps which I use to sync to my iPod and one in OGG 80kbps, out of which I selectively transfer to my Treo cell phone.

So I would like to be able to just rip new CDs to my WMA Lossless format and, rather than manually do the conversions for each new set of songs that I added, run a program that searches the WMA Lossless folder for newly added files (ie, files that don't already have a corresponding AAC and OGG file) and does both a conversion to AAC and OGG and puts them in the right folders.

Yes, I know I could just have one folder with MP3 format, but I want to rip in lossless so I won't lose quality if in the future I change formats, and I want larger files on my iPod because it has the space, but need to use the smaller files on my Treo.

Does that make sense? I would think that I am not the only one with this need.

Comment

• Razgo
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

so perhaps this is all thats needed. and that is a button called "sync folder" (or whatever) in MMC : "new track lookout" and that button would open up the powerpack which has all the options needed.

example:this :

will open this:

Comment

• Razgo
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

of course Spoon would have to figure out how to tie the two together, but i think it would be doable.

Comment

• xja
              • Jan 2004

That would basically accomplish what I am looking for. Although the folder structure would have to be maintained.

Perhaps a better way would be via the New Track Preferences... it has the ability to move the file into a new folder and create sub-directories/rename based on tag info. Maybe this feature could be expanded so the user could specify more than 1 destination directory and a format for each.

I am still amazed that no music library manager (at least that I know of) automatically maintains multiple copies of different formats in different folders. ie, so one entry in MMC links to multiple copies of the song each in different format. So you edit the tag and changes are made to all linked copies. MMC could easily do that.

Comment

• Razgo
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Originally posted by xja
                Perhaps a better way would be via the New Track Preferences... it has the ability to move the file into a new folder and create sub-directories/rename based on tag info.
                yes, that would take care of the moving part but not the actual converting to another format. so yeh a mix of those things should work in theory.

Comment

Working...

]]>