title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Player will not open after reinstallation

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Winlavay
    • Jan 2005

I am a registered user with a paid program. After the first installation everything worked fine. Very good sound, very bad usability, just as expected. After encountering several problems like hanging at the end of tracks I de-installed the player. After reinstalling the player (it IS reinstalled for sure, program is in the right directory, icon is there etc.) doubleclicking the icon does not open the player. Doubleclicking the exe file does neither open the file. I de-installed again the player and ran tuneup registry cleaning. It did not help either. Now I am in the very uncomfortable situation to have a paid program that does not run ...
    What is the solution?
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Player will not open after reinstallation

What operating system are you running? There are special considerations for WIndows 98, 95 and probably ME.

And did you uninstall and reinstall just dAP or any of the other dBpowerAMP programs?

When you installed, were you signed in as administrator? Did you install to the same folder as the other dBpowerAMP products?

And, by the way, dAP itself is a free program. The only ones that require a license are PowerPack, CD Writer and Sveta.

Comment

• Winlavay
      • Jan 2005

Hi Christina, thats a really quick reaction, THANKS!

What operating system are you running?
      >> Windows XP PRO

And did you uninstall and reinstall just dAP or any of the other dBpowerAMP programs?

>>First only the player, then everything and erased the illustrate directory and cleaned the registry (with tune Up)

When you installed, were you signed in as administrator?
      >> Yes
      Did you install to the same folder as the other dBpowerAMP products?
      >>Yes

And, by the way, dAP itself is a free program. The only ones that require a license are PowerPack, CD Writer and Sveta.
      >> of course, but a very useful part of your suite and the best sounding mp3 player i'ver ever heard :-)

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Do you also have SP2 installed?

When you go to the Illustrate folder and find the program Amp.exe, right click on it and select Open. Does it work?

Is it possible it opens but it runs in a minimized window, as a button in the task bar?

Comment

• Winlavay
          • Jan 2005

yes i did. no it does not open by doing so.

Comment

• Winlavay
            • Jan 2005

theres the taskbar icon for a fraction of a second, than its gone before i can try to click it

Comment

• Winlavay
              • Jan 2005

oh and i have SP2 installed

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

Win XP has a funny way of handling those buttons in the taskbar. It hides them according to some "smart" thinking - you're not supposed to care????. I'm not on an XP machine right now, but I know you can adjust that feature to not hide or group buttons. Not sure where it is. Try by right clicking in the task bar and see what options you have there.

Besides that, I'm trying to remember when I encountered a problem with programs not opening up in a window but staying minimized in the task bar, and how that got solved.... Hmmmmm....

Just to be sure, did you reboot your computer after reinstalling?

Oh, and do you maybe have a pop-up killer that's overactive? probably nothing to do with this, but just trying to eliminate things.

Comment

• Winlavay
                  • Jan 2005

thank you again for your great patience!

Win XP has a funny way of handling those buttons in the taskbar.
                  >> I have this feature enabled, but thats not it, all other taskbar icons are still there, when I want to see them. I really see only the dbAMP icon appear and vanish in the next moment wherea everything else stays where it belongs.

Besides that, I'm trying to remember when I encountered a problem with programs not opening up in a window but staying minimized in the task bar, and how that got solved.... Hmmmmm....
                  >> Thats not the problem. it doesnt open at all, it is not visible in the taskmanager, its not running as a process either

Just to be sure, did you reboot your computer after reinstalling?
                  >> everytime, just to make sure :-)

Oh, and do you maybe have a pop-up killer that's overactive? probably nothing to do with this, but just trying to eliminate things.
                  >> I use mozillas firefox, but nothing in the configuration has changed between first and second installation

>> I suspect something like a hidden entry in the registry, but i am not keen enought to mess with that.
                  Another suspicion could be, that the order of installing the DB modules makes a difference ???

Comment

• Razgo
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

you say you used a 3rd party reg cleaner to clean out the reg. perhaps it didn't do a good job?

you can remove by:

A. If uninstalling does not help, then follow these instructions to make a totally clean start:

*** if you are using dBpowerAMP Audio Player, backup your music collection first ***

1)Select 'Start' >> 'Run' and type:

regedit.exe

Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Illustrate
                    delete the Key (folder) 'dBpowerAMP'.

2) Using Windows Explorer, open C:\Program Files\Illustrate and Delete the folder 'dBpowerAMP'

3) Reinstall, one by one dMC and Codecs.

4) Reinstall, dbpoweramp music player

Comment

• Winlavay
                      • Jan 2005

Re: Player will not open after reinstallation / you made my day!

Hello Razgo,

many thanks! I deinstalled everything , erased the illustrate directory and did a serch thru the registry. I found more than 30 dbpoweramp related registry entries and deleted them all. After that I reinstalled everything from scratch and now it works fine.
                      Nevertheless: This problem should not exist at all. Someone at dbpoweramp should find out the exact ascii string that makes things go so complicated.

Best regards

Robert

Comment

• Razgo
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

Nevertheless: This problem should not exist at all. Someone at dbpoweramp should find out the exact ascii string that makes things go so complicated.
                        Spoon is always working on this and your feedback on reporting problems helps to try and track down possible bugs. i'm glad it's all working again

Comment

Working...

]]>