title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Speed of ripping CDs

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adaywayne
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2004

Re: Speed of ripping CDs

Originally posted by neilthecellist
    So setting it to Below Normal would make the CD ripping faster?
    Yes, it does....I have tested it. But, as an old stick-in-the-mud, I always rip to native format (wave) first and then convert. Same with copying CDs. I always rip and then burn rather than using "direct copy" feature. Call me old-fashioned!
    Arnie

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

As one stick-in-the-mud to another, I do the same. Still, I keep the priority below normal, no point in fiddling with what works :D

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Originally posted by ChristinaS
        As one stick-in-the-mud to another, I do the same. Still, I keep the priority below normal, no point in fiddling with what works :D
        I also rip and then burn it of. However, I rip the CD directly to Monkeys. Does this make me partially old-fashioned?

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by LtData
          I also rip and then burn it of. However, I rip the CD directly to Monkeys. Does this make me partially old-fashioned?
          Nope, but you show promise :p Some of us foggies rip to .wav first, listen to what we've got, then convert to something else. To make an audio cd, first I bring all to .wav, listen, and then I burn the cd, on the slowest speed I have. Made too many CD coasters in my life (working on DVD coasters now, those are a notch higher class :D )

Comment

• Razgo
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

i agree that ogg is the slowest. but why?? it's open source. people modify it and redistribute it. and it's still the slowest???? i don't understand. :confused:
            just because it's open source doesn't make it better than commercial or closed source software.

unfortunately a lot of people these days have jumped on the open source bandwagon believing it is better but a lot of the times it is the exact opposite that occurs. open source has it's place just like commercial and closed source software does.

but why ogg is slower than wma when ripping i have no idea and maybe you could pose that question to the ogg support email or forum?

Comment

• neilthecellist
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2004

Ok, i'm learning the language of C, I have the source code for Ogg Vorbis, but I don't understand. Is it because the more i don't understand it, the more complex it is? LOL!
              :lol:

Like, is there a way to make the compression routines.......faster AND good sounding??

Comment

• Razgo
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

i wouldn't have a clue as i don't do programing, but what i do know is you are now off topic and perhaps post this question in the developers forum, or spoons off topic forum. as this forum needs to be kept for support issue related questions that pertain to dbpoweramp.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2004

OH! Sorry, Razgo. Really, I am, i didn't notice it! -_-

Well, i DO have a question about the speed of ripping CDs......Would it make a difference if I set the CPU priority to Below Normal from dBpowerAMP Music Converter itself or if I set it to Below Normal thru Task Manager? Would it make any difference for the speed of ripping a CD?

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

OH! Sorry, Razgo. Really, I am, i didn't notice it! -_-

Well, i DO have a question about the speed of ripping CDs......Would it make a difference if I set the CPU priority to Below Normal from dBpowerAMP Music Converter itself or if I set it to Below Normal thru Task Manager? Would it make any difference for the speed of ripping a CD?
                    Holy smokes, Neil! Why do you want to complicate issues so? :(

Comment

• neilthecellist
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Dec 2004

cuz i rip a lot of CDs.

Comment

• Razgo
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

the first 11 posts answered that question.

Comment

Working...

]]>