title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Is Ogg ISO 9660 compliant?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MidnightJava
    • Jan 2005

Is Ogg ISO 9660 compliant?

I'm considering replacing the factory-installed CD player in my car with one that is able to play MP3 files. I'd also like to play Ogg Vorbis files on it, but the product info is ambiguous as to whether that will work. It says that it plays MP3 files, but also mentions that it will work with "Joliet and other ISO 9660 compliant formats." (However, ID tags may not be displayed properly.)

With a quick search on google, I learned that ISO 9660 is a standard for formatting files on CD media. But the tech at Crutchfield that I spoke with hadn't heard of Ogg Vorbis, and he said no one else there would be able to tell me if the player will work with it. Does anyone know if Ogg is an ISO 9660 compliant format?

-Mark
  • Wayne
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Aug 2002

Re: Is Ogg ISO 9660 compliant?

Unless it mentions ogg vorbis by name I would assume that it will not be able to play them.

ISO 9660 and Joliet are just different standards used in the creation of CDROMs. They describe how the files can be organised and named on the CD.

Check out this link http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq03.html#S3-5-1 for a list of the various standards available for the creation of CDs.

Wayne

Comment

• adaywayne
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by MidnightJava
      I'm considering replacing the factory-installed CD player in my car with one that is able to play MP3 files. I'd also like to play Ogg Vorbis files on it, but the product info is ambiguous as to whether that will work. It says that it plays MP3 files, but also mentions that it will work with "Joliet and other ISO 9660 compliant formats." (However, ID tags may not be displayed properly.)

With a quick search on google, I learned that ISO 9660 is a standard for formatting files on CD media. But the tech at Crutchfield that I spoke with hadn't heard of Ogg Vorbis, and he said no one else there would be able to tell me if the player will work with it. Does anyone know if Ogg is an ISO 9660 compliant format?

-Mark
      I think you may have to build your own. http://www.cajun.nu/

Doesn't look too difficult!!
      Arnie

Comment

• MidnightJava
        • Jan 2005

Thanks for the info. I think you're probably right. The unit will be able to read Ogg files, but probably won't be able to decode Vorbis encoded music.

CAJUN looks like a fun little project, but I don't really have the time for that sort of thing right now. I might play around with it sometime in the future. In the meantime, I guess I'll make do with MP3s in the car. If I really want to use Ogg Vorbis at home, I guess I could rip my CDs twice, but I don't think that's warranted.

The main advantage of Vorbis over MP3, as I understand it, is that I can get higher quality for the same file size, or smaller file size for the same quality level; but that's more important for the car, where I'll be carrying CDs, as opposed to home, where disk space is relatively cheap and plentiful. And I guess it's going to be a while before a wide variety of hardware systems can handle Vorbis. And probably an even longer while, if ever, before they come with the ability to add CODECs on the fly.

The Ogg Vorbis site lists some hardware units that implement Ogg Vorbis, but none of the units listed are on Crutchfield's list of units for which they provide replacement kits for my vehicle.

-Mark

Comment

• neilthecellist
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2004

'build your own', Arnie?? OMG. I've ALWAYS wanted to do that...THANK YOU SO MUCH ARNIE!

Comment

• adaywayne
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2004

Thanks for the info. I think you're probably right. The unit will be able to read Ogg files, but probably won't be able to decode Vorbis encoded music.
            Ogg and Vorbis (or Ogg-Vorbis) are really one and the same. I searched for a car player that will play Ogg files but couldn't find one.

The main advantage of Vorbis over MP3, as I understand it, is that I can get higher quality for the same file size, or smaller file size for the same quality level; but that's more important for the car, where I'll be carrying CDs, as opposed to home, where disk space is relatively cheap and plentiful.
            You could go to WMA at 64Kbps/VBR/2-pass which is a little better than mp3 at the same bitrate. There are plenty of car playeres that support WMA.
            Arnie

Comment

• neilthecellist
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2004

Yes. If I were to organize a list of codecs from best to worst for car audio, it would be:
              1. Ogg Vorbis
              2. WMA
              3. mp4 (m4a)
              4. mp3

mp3 is just the worst. It should ALWAYS be the last priority for car audio.

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

Just a clarification:
                Ogg is a container format
                Ogg Vorbis is an audio file in the Ogg container.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2004

yes. it's already known, isn't it, LtData? There's Ogg Theora for video too. ^_^

Comment

Working...

]]>