title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

When I convert MP3 to WMA the file is 2 1/2 time bigger.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dermotgw
    • Dec 2004

When I convert MP3 to WMA the file is 2 1/2 time bigger.

I have a portable mp3 player
    I have windows XP + SP 2
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: When I convert MP3 to WMA the file is 2 1/2 time bigger.

Originally posted by dermotgw
    I have a portable mp3 player
    I have windows XP + SP 2
    The size of the .wma file depends on the specs you used to create it, exactly the same way as teh size of the mp3 file.

For the same bitrate, frequency, channels and bits - the files will be almost identical in size.

So it depends on your choices. You must have increeased the bitrate and/or the frequency for instance. If your .mp3 was 128kbps and you went to 320kbps for your .wma file, that alone would mean the .wma file is 2.5 times bigger than the .mp3 file.

Comment

• dermotgw
      • Dec 2004

How and where do change the bitrate.
      I would like to make the wma file 1/4 the size of the mp3
      Thank you

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

How and where do change the bitrate.
        I would like to make the wma file 1/4 the size of the mp3
        Thank you
        Well, when you convert it, of course, you select the appropriate bitrate from the drop down list as you convert to Windows Media V9. Watch out, you may have 2 such selections. You need the one where you will be able to find Windows Media 9 - with a large seleciton of bitrates, frequencies and channels in another drop down list. Don't select Professional or Lossless, as these result in very large files.

You have to know the bitrate and frequency of your input mp3 file in order to make an informed choice. You get that from the mp3 file attributes, or the id tag. Just hover the mouse over that file name an dyou will get all the information about it.

The file size is directly proportional to the bitrate. For instance if your mp3 is at 128kbps, select wma at 32kbps, and same frequency and channels (i.e.mono or stereo). Easier if you select CBR (constant bitrate) when in doubt, as this si quite predictable. If you don't mind mono, and you mp3 was stereo, then seelct an wma setting for mono, this will make the resulting file half the size of the same in stereo.

Comment

• dermotgw
          • Dec 2004

My drop down only gives me one choice - Windows media wave V9 in the "convert to" window
          No sign of choices of bitrates etc
          (my mp3 file is 192 and the wma I got is 429)
          Type selected is vbr as per instructions on website
          codec is media audio 9.1
          Settings media quality 98,44khtz, stereo VBR
          Where am I going wrong?

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

My drop down only gives me one choice - Windows media wave V9 in the "convert to" window
            No sign of choices of bitrates etc
            (my mp3 file is 192 and the wma I got is 429)
            Type selected is vbr as per instructions on website
            codec is media audio 9.1
            Settings media quality 98,44khtz, stereo VBR
            Where am I going wrong?
            You're using exactly the codec I said not to use! That's the lossless one .

You want to use the Windows Media V9 not V9.1 for starters.

I don't know why you don't have those choices, unless you're always looking at the wrong one. Maybe you didn't download the whole enchilada from Codec Central.

What I'm telling you will allow you to select CBR, VBR as well as 2 pass or not. Then you have a long drop down list of selcitons for bitrate and frequency and channels, starting at 8kbps, 8KHz, Mono CBR right up to 320kbps, 44KHz, A/V stereo - and also a few for 48KHz. Don't forget, tehre are a couple of drop down lists here:
            1) for seelcting the codec: you should see 2 for WIndows Media V9.... chopped to the right since the space is too small.

2) Selecting one of those, you get in once case the ordinary old Windows Media 9 as I mentioned, and in another case the higher bitrates and frequencies.

I don't know if this stuff varies depending on the order in which you've installed codecs. Possible.

Just go again through Codec Central and make sure you downloaded and installed everything for Wndows media, including Windows Media Player if you don't already have it.

The codecs you want are associated with Windows Media Player 9, not 10. So maybe you still need those.

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

Actually the 9.1 codec does normal WMA files as well as the pro and lossless. After you select the WMA 9.1 as the "converting to", you select CBR, the top choice in the drop down "Windows Media 9.1" and then your bitrate and frequency. Don't choose a setting above the mp3's settings, 192kbps and 44100Hz.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by LtData
                Actually the 9.1 codec does normal WMA files as well as the pro and lossless. After you select the WMA 9.1 as the "converting to", you select CBR, the top choice in the drop down "Windows Media 9.1" and then your bitrate and frequency. Don't choose a setting above the mp3's settings, 192kbps and 44100Hz.
                Well, this is where I think it depends on the order or history of the installations. Since I'm running W2K, I don't have WMP 10, thus not 9.1 either. But I have 2 sets Windows Media 9 codecs appearing, not with exactly the same set of sub-options. Maybe I'm due for a cleanup :D

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

I install the 9.1 system codecs and then the WMA 9.1 Codec. I don't have WMP10 either. Ahh, right. The 9.1 system codecs are XP only. Just remembered that. Well, we learn something new every day. :komisch9:

Comment

• dermotgw
                    • Dec 2004

Should I uninstall everything and start again- if so what order?

Comment

• neilthecellist
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Dec 2004

i didn't know there was a specific order in uninstallation of things.....:confused:

Comment

• ChristinaS
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2004

There shouldn't really be any, but it's possible the wma stuff is picky a bit.
                        As I said, mine's showing funny, though it works properly. It's just that I have to hunt and peck a bitto find things in that area :D

Comment

• neilthecellist
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Dec 2004

why is stuff by microsoft always so buggy?

In school, we're learning Microsoft Visual Basic and a little of C++. We use Visual Basic to do programming stuff. Half the time when I compile stuff, I get a runtime error. I mean, is Microsoft stuff SUPPOSED to be buggy for something??

Comment

• dermotgw
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by ChristinaS
                            You're using exactly the codec I said not to use! That's the lossless one .

You want to use the Windows Media V9 not V9.1 for starters.

I don't know why you don't have those choices, unless you're always looking at the wrong one. Maybe you didn't download the whole enchilada from Codec Central.

What I'm telling you will allow you to select CBR, VBR as well as 2 pass or not. Then you have a long drop down list of selcitons for bitrate and frequency and channels, starting at 8kbps, 8KHz, Mono CBR right up to 320kbps, 44KHz, A/V stereo - and also a few for 48KHz. Don't forget, tehre are a couple of drop down lists here:
                            1) for seelcting the codec: you should see 2 for WIndows Media V9.... chopped to the right since the space is too small.

2) Selecting one of those, you get in once case the ordinary old Windows Media 9 as I mentioned, and in another case the higher bitrates and frequencies.

I don't know if this stuff varies depending on the order in which you've installed codecs. Possible.

Just go again through Codec Central and make sure you downloaded and installed everything for Wndows media, including Windows Media Player if you don't already have it.

The codecs you want are associated with Windows Media Player 9, not 10. So maybe you still need those.
                            When I do as you suggest I pull down a Windows Media Audio 9 Voice file I get a very modest set of biterates - maximum 20kbps, 22kHz Mono
                            This sounds very rough I'd like to make it larger but not as large as the mp3 I'm converting from 198kbps

Comment

• ChristinaS
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Apr 2004

When I do as you suggest I pull down a Windows Media Audio 9 Voice file I get a very modest set of biterates - maximum 20kbps, 22kHz Mono
                              This sounds very rough I'd like to make it larger but not as large as the mp3 I'm converting from 198kbps
                              Keep looking. The options you will see displaye depend on whether you pic 1 pass or 2-pass, CBR or VBR and so on. I can't tell you where exactly it will be available on your own installation, you'll have to find them yourself, by looking at all the WMA options systematically.

What you want will not be identified as voice.

Pick CBR, not 2-pass, and you'll get the drop down list. Right at the bottom you may find again Windows Media 9, right below ACELP (at least in my installation it is like that). Then you have all the combinations from 8 kbps on up.

Comment

Working...

]]>