title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

problem with aac --> mp3/wav

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kyubiboi
    • Dec 2004

problem with aac --> mp3/wav

hi, im having some troubles getting aac files to convert to mp3

i got the aac encoder/decoder and the mp3 encoder (lame) but when i try to convert, i get the error "The CODEC required to compress 'name.mp3.' could not be opened." i've checked the configuration and it says it can read aac files.

i have also tried the "test conversion" but when i try that, my windows say "MusicConverter.exe has encountered a problem and needs to be closed."
    it says the same thing if i try to convert aac to wav

I can convert mp3 to aac no problem or mp3 to wav as well, but when it comes to aac to mp3, pr aac to wav, it doesnt work for some reason.

my settings for DMC (acc to mp3) are as follows:
    encoding= mp3 lame (normal), constant bitrate, quality normal
    Bit Rate = 160Kbps
    Channels = Stereo
    Frequency 44100

my settings for DMC (acc to wav) are as follows:
    16 Bit (CD)
    48000 Hz
    2 'Stereo' (CD)

i also manged to get some info on the aac file as follows:
    length= 22:30
    size= 14417 KB (14 MB)
    frequency= 48000
    Channels= 6
    Bitrate= 87 Kbps
    Type = ADTS

oh, and i use winamp to play this file, windows media player doesnt seem to be able to play it.

i am sure it is an aac file, but i dont know if its the file that cant b read or if the settings are wrong (since i only have one aac file).

if anyone knows why this is happening, please help, i have been stuck at this for a while now :cry:

thanks in advance
    Last edited by kyubiboi; December 28, 2004, 06:36 AM.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: problem with aac --> mp3/wav

It seems that you have installed the AAC encoder, but did you also install the AAC DEcoder? They are separate installs in Codec Central.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

>Channels= 6

Possibly that mp3 is only 2 channel - try converting to wave does that work? what is the error message if it does not?
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• arcadiandream
        • Dec 2004

Last edited by arcadiandream; December 29, 2004, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• kyubiboi
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by LtData
          It seems that you have installed the AAC encoder, but did you also install the AAC DEcoder? They are separate installs in Codec Central.

yes, i also installed de AAC DEcoder. That doesn't seem to be the problem

Comment

• kyubiboi
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Spoon
            >Channels= 6

Possibly that mp3 is only 2 channel - try converting to wave does that work? what is the error message if it does not?

when i try converting to wave, my windows says the music converter has encountered a problem and needs to be shut down :(

Comment

• adaywayne
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by kyubiboi
              when i try converting to wave, my windows says the music converter has encountered a problem and needs to be shut down :(
              You are not, by any chance, trying to convert an aac iTunes downloaded file are you? If you are, there are strict limitations to what you can do with the file. One of those limitations is not being allowed to convert it to another format. You can transfer it to an iPod and you can also burn an audio CD (CDA format) and I think the latter can only be done via the iTunes own burning program (but I could be wrong on that last bit)
              Arnie

Comment

• kyubiboi
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by adaywayne
                You are not, by any chance, trying to convert an aac iTunes downloaded file are you? If you are, there are strict limitations to what you can do with the file. One of those limitations is not being allowed to convert it to another format. You can transfer it to an iPod and you can also burn an audio CD (CDA format) and I think the latter can only be done via the iTunes own burning program (but I could be wrong on that last bit)
                Arnie

no, im not trying to convert an aac iTunes downloaded file. This aac file is ripped off of a .mkv video file.

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

I think the problem is that there are 6 channels in the aac file. How we remedy this is uncertain. Does anybody know how to reduce the channels in a file?

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

Any luck with a test conversion (no write) after installing all the codecs?
                    Can you play the file using any player? If not, tehre's nothing you can do until you get a player to play the file.

Did you try to convert to .wav using bits as source, 48KHZ and channels as source?

If that works, you can convert the .wav in a step-wise fashion (i.e. change one setting at a time) to 16-bit 44.1KHz and 2-channel stereo. AFter that convert the final .wav to .mp3.

Comment

• adaywayne
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2004

no, im not trying to convert an aac iTunes downloaded file. This aac file is ripped off of a .mkv video file.
                      You might find some help here: http://ld-anime.faireal.net/guide/mkv-eng

or in any of the MKV forums.

Arnie

Comment

• tomas
                        • Dec 2005

if you want to convert an aac to mp3 just burn the aac tracks with itunes and convert the whole CD with mp3 converter I.E lame :smile2:
                        Last edited by tomas; December 26, 2005, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Sep 2005

personally, i would use other tools since it has 6 channels....

dmc, can handle this, but you will need to use the directshow input plugin to do it. add "aac" to the extentions list, and make sure you have aac support in directshow (such as "core aac", and the aac adts parcer filter), just make sure 'downmix to 2 channels' is checked on the core aac filter.

Comment

• LtData
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • May 2004

With your first post, you revived a nearly year-old thread?
                            Locked.

Comment

Working...

]]>