title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Apple Lossless codec doesn't encode

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dcsoft
    • Dec 2004

Apple Lossless codec doesn't encode

Hello, dbPowerAmp is awesome! I got an iPod Photo for Christmas and need to convert my ripped wave files to Apple Lossless. I ended up following the advice in your help file for the Apple Lossless codec and used dbPowerAmp to convert to WMA Lossless first.

One thing, though - you may want to make it VERY clear that the Apple Lossless codec does not encode at all. The help file for the Apple Lossless codec implies that it does encode, just that any tags are not written. I was puzzled why Apple Lossless didn't appear in the combobox as an option to convert files to, until I google'd and found other comments on this forum saying there is no encoding option for Apple Lossless.

Cheers,
    David
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Apple Lossless codec doesn't encode

As it says on the codec download page:
    This is Apple Lossless Codec allows dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) to convert from Apple Lossless (.m4a files), dBpowerAMP Audio Player (dAP) to play Apple Lossless and Sveta Portable Audio (iPod Version) to send Apple Lossless files to an iPod.

To create Apple Lossless files it is best that that dBpowerAMP Windows Media Audio Codec is installed, convert your files to Windows Media Lossless and import into iTunes, the files will be converted to Apple Lossless (whilst preserving the ID Tags).
    It says that it does NOT encode Apple Lossless, you must do this with ITunes.

Then again, I don't know what the help files look like.
    Last edited by LtData; December 27, 2004, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• dcsoft
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by LtData
      As it says on the codec download page:

It says that it does NOT encode Apple Lossless, you must do this with ITunes.
      Well, technically it does not say you "must use iTunes", it says "it is best to use iTunes."

I didn't think that applied to me, because the whole thing was in the context of preserving tags. Since my wave files don't have tag info anyway, I thought from the help file that I could use dbPowerAmp to convert the wave files into tag-less .mp4 files and then use Tag and Rename to put the tags into the .mp4 (from the directory structure and filenames).

But now I'm just using dbPowerAmp to convert the wave files into WMA Lossless, using Tag and Rename to put the tags in, and then I will import them into iTunes to ship out to the iPod, as the help file suggests.

Hey, no big deal. I just thought if I were confused, others would be helped by simply stressing the point (that it doesn't encode). If it's just me, don't worry about it.

-- David

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Originally posted by dcsoft
        Well, technically it does not say you "must use iTunes", it says "it is best to use iTunes."
        Hmm... good point. Mabye the wording should be changed to make sure it's obvious the encoder does NOT encode to Apple Lossless, Spoon?

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

[COLOR=red]This is Apple Lossless Codec allows dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) to convert from Apple Lossless (.m4a files), dBpowerAMP Audio Player (dAP) to play Apple Lossless and Sveta Portable Audio (iPod Version) to send Apple Lossless files to an iPod[/COLOR].

To create Apple Lossless files it is best that that dBpowerAMP Windows Media Audio Codec is installed, convert your files to Windows Media Lossless and import into iTunes, the files will be converted to Apple Lossless (whilst preserving the ID Tags).
          At Codec Central the icons next to Apple Lossless indicate only decoding, no encoding:
          :D

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Unfortunately most people won't associate "it is best to ..." with the fact that it's best to make the rip lossless w/ tags and then convert in itunes to apple lossless.

Comment

Working...

]]>