title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

codec

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dandew1
    • Dec 2004

codec

Whenever I try to convert a wma file to an mp3 file I get this error.
    Please help?

Unable to run encoder 'C:\codec.exe
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: codec

Do you have the wma codec installed?

Comment

• Dandew1
      • Dec 2004

I don't know if I do. Where would I find that and thank you so much for your reply.

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

You would find this in dMC Configuration - look down the list of Input codecs installed (read) - you will see if it's there Windows Media Audio Input D..

Otherwise you can see if you have it when you try to convet something in dMC and you find it in the list of codecs to choose from.

Comment

• Dandew1
          • Dec 2004

Is this the dmc audio configuration? All I see is the dmc audio ripping configuration. When I do try to convert I am not sure which option to use. I have dloaded many blade, lame, etc. Boy am I lost.

Comment

• Razgo
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

start-->programs-->dbpoweramp music converter-->configuration-->dmc configuration

then scroll and see what codecs you have installed.

codec central: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm
            WMA codec: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-wma.htm

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

dMC Configuration is in the Start Menu under Programs, then dbPowerAmp Music Converter, then Configuration, then dMC Configuration. Scroll down towards the bottom and you will see an area that contains installed codecs and decoders.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2004

oh and by the way, i would only convert wma to mp3 if i lost/didn't have the original wav/cd file......I would have used the original audio file to convert to mp3......converting from wma to mp3 will just make it sound plain bad, no matter what bitrate it is....

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

You have installed a different mp3 encoder, convert to mp3 (Lame)
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Dandew1
                    • Dec 2004

First of all,
                    Thank you all so very much for your help and input. I did switch to the lame codec (still confused though as I see a lame and a lame.exe. The Windows media audio input d is in the configuration. What does the mp3(MPEG Suite 2000 CLI) mean? Is this for reading wma files?. What is the smallest, possible compression rate I can use without any major loss of quality?
                    Thank you all again.

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

Well, each person's ears discern a different level of quality. Some people are perfectly happy with 128kbps mp3s, some want 192kbps mp3s, some want loseless, and the list goes on. The lame.exe is a separate codec for those people who want to use options for lame that dmc doesn't let you select. This, however, requires you to download lame separately.

The wma codec will be listed under Installed Compression Codecs (Write) and Installed Input Codecs (Read). If you only see wma under Smart Install Codecs, then wma is not installed. You can go to Codec Central to download the wma codec or click this link: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-wma.htm

Comment

• Dandew1
                        • Dec 2004

Thank you so much and yes the wma codec is installed under both the read and write. Now, when I rip a cd does it always rip using wma format? Is there any way to rip a cd using another codec such as lame? If so, which program do I rip with? Thank you again.

Comment

• LtData
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • May 2004

You can click the down arrow beside "Rip" and select what codec you want to use when you rip. Or you can right-click on "Rip" to rip with options.

Comment

• Dandew1
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by LtData
                            You can click the down arrow beside "Rip" and select what codec you want to use when you rip. Or you can right-click on "Rip" to rip with options.

Comment

• Dandew1
                              • Dec 2004

Can I use this option for Windows Media Player? Or am I to use something else?

Comment

Working...

]]>