title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

can't convert mp4 files!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inertiae
    • Mar 2004

can't convert mp4 files!

I downloaded some mp4 files and dbpoweramp plays them fine, but I would like to convert them to mp3s. musicconverter goes through the motions but an error window comes up with "the file c:\jsdhxkjsgf.mp4 could not be opened" for each file in the directory.

any ideas how to correct this?

TIA
    inertiae
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: can't convert mp4 files!

Originally posted by inertiae
    I downloaded some mp4 files and dbpoweramp plays them fine, but I would like to convert them to mp3s. musicconverter goes through the motions but an error window comes up with "the file c:\jsdhxkjsgf.mp4 could not be opened" for each file in the directory.

any ideas how to correct this?

TIA
    inertiae
    I assume you have downloaded the proper decoding codec for .mp4 from Codec Central and also have the Lame mp3 encoding codec (in Powerpack).

Maybe you can find help here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6258

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Can you play these mp4 files in a media player?

Comment

• inertiae
        • Mar 2004

i believe i installed the right one
        dBpowerAMP-codec-mp4-aac-decode.exe ?

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

If they are playing in dBpowerAMP Audio Player then dMC (dBpowerAMP Music Converter) almost certainly can convert them.
          Can you right-click on one of the mp4 files, select convert to, and select mp3 as an option? If so, what settings (bits, bitrate, frequency, and channels do you have set for your mp3 output file and what settings does your mp4 file have for the same variables?
          It seems likely to me that either your mp4 and mp3 settings are incompatible or that you are overcompressing your mp3 output file. The first problem might occur if, say, your mp4 file is 24 bit or greater than 2 channels (which is not supported in the mp3 cpdec that dMC uses). In that case, converting the mp4 file to 16 bit wav at 44.1 kHz and 2 channels should do the trick. In the other case, changing your mp3 settings to something like alt-preset standard, or 192 kbs cbr, 2 channels, 44.1 kHz should work (then it is merely a matter of working down to the closest compression you can get to what you had wanted in the first place).

Try these ideas.
          See how you make out.
          If you need more help, please send the details about the settings for your mp4 and mp3 files, tell us what you tried and what you got.

Best wishes,
          Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• inertiae
            • Mar 2004

I keep getting the same "...could not be opened" message :(

Comment

• xoas
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2002

Go to Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types. Wait for the window to load the list of file extensions strored on your computer. Look for the mp4 file extension. What program, if any, is designated to open this file? Try changing the program used to open these files to dBpowerAMP (although QuickTime Media Player worked well for me). Restart the computer, try again.

If this does not help, tell me what settings the mp4 file has and what program was designated to open these files.

Best wishes,
              Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Check it is a valid mp4 file by playing it in another program.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• inertiae
                  • Mar 2004

i had already associated mp4 with dbpoweramp but i tried rebooting and no change

dbpoweramp info showed
                  type: mp4
                  extension: .mp4
                  length: 0:00
                  size: 0kb

i didn't realize i had another program that played it, but i found windows media player could play it and it does show the file properties.
                  for audio codec it said :mpeg audio layer 3 !!

does this mean it is really an mp3?
                  i just changed the ending in one file and now it is playing as an mp3

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

It could be an mp3 with an incorrect extension, yes. When you change the extension, does the info show the correct data?

Comment

• inertiae
                      • Mar 2004

Yes, the size, length, bitrate etc. are all there

i guess it was a false alarm
                      thanks to all for your input

Comment

Working...

]]>