title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Where's the i-Tunes codec?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PetMetroid
    • Dec 2004

Where's the i-Tunes codec?

Everyones' talking about it, but I can't seem to find it. Where's the i-Tunes codec?
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Where's the i-Tunes codec?

Originally posted by PetMetroid
    Everyones' talking about it, but I can't seem to find it. Where's the i-Tunes codec?
    LOL! There's no iTunes codec as such. There are codecs that may be used to decode whatever audio file types you get from iTunes, as long as the files are not also encrypted or protected.

All the codecs are at Codec Central (link at the top of the forum page). Look for the particular file extension that you want to convert FROM and download the necessary codecs and install them. You'll be needing the decoding codec, which is the frist one to be downloaded from the page where you go from Codec Central for .m4a and .mp4 (AAC).

iTunes files seem to be .m4a or .mp4 files. If your file is .m4p then it's the same format, but protected, so it cannot be decoded easily and maybe not at all.

Comment

• PetMetroid
      • Dec 2004

So if I want to decode MP4's at i-Tunes quality with PowerAMP, I'll have to buy Quick Time Pro? That's gay! If I buy an i-Pod, will it come with a Quick Time registration code, or will Apple let me get the version for free?

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

So if I want to decode MP4's at i-Tunes quality with PowerAMP, I'll have to buy Quick Time Pro? That's gay! If I buy an i-Pod, will it come with a Quick Time registration code, or will Apple let me get the version for free?
        Who says you have to buy anything? Just decode the stuff to whatever format you like.

Are you trying to encode for iTunes or decode from iTunes?

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

So if I want to decode MP4's at i-Tunes quality with PowerAMP, I'll have to buy Quick Time Pro?
          In actuality, dBpowerAMP Music Converter has only a single MP4/AAC decoder. This will decode unprotected m4a files.

If your mp4 files are from iTunes, they have DRM protections built-in. Even the Quicktime Pro based codec will not work to decode them. This is an Apple/iTunes decision.

If you want to decode protected files, you may want to checkout iRevolt (see link here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showpost...9&postcount=80)
          or try Hymn or iOpener (available here: http://www.hymn-project.org/).

You may want to read this FAQ here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6258.

Please let us know how you make out.
          Best wishes,
          Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Plus there is the dBpowerAMP Apple Lossless decoder Codec in Beta section of this forum (it will not do m4p files though).
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• PetMetroid
              • Dec 2004

>Are you trying to encode for iTunes or decode from iTunes?[/QUOTE]

Encode for iTunes. I'm basically just being picky. Apple's codecs tend to sound better, that's why I'm asking. I love your software, but the FAAC tends to sound bad with some genres of music. I guess I'll use iTunes.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

>Are you trying to encode for iTunes or decode from iTunes?

Encode for iTunes. I'm basically just being picky. Apple's codecs tend to sound better, that's why I'm asking. I love your software, but the FAAC tends to sound bad with some genres of music. I guess I'll use iTunes.
                Ah, that's a new twist. Most people are trying to get away from iTunes and convert to something less proprietary.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

In codec central is an Apple encoder (it uses Quicktime Pro) to encode .aac
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Matthewem
                    • Jan 2005

Ok, I've converted my itunes files to m4a. Now what, whenever I use the dbpoweramp music converter it says ".......file could not be opened". Could someone walk me through the process here please? I just bought a Creative Zen Micro Mp3 player and I want to be able to put songs I bought from iTunes on it. Please SAVE ME!

(I made the mistake of deleting the original M4p files so I have to work from m4a)

Thanks

Comment

• ChristinaS
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2004

You have to download and install the decoder codec from Codec Central: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-mp4.htm after which you should ba able to use dMC and convert the .m4a files to .mp3. Assuming they are not protected.

Comment

• Matthewem
                        • Jan 2005

Ok I've downloaded the converter, but when I try to convert m4a to any other format, it says the file could not be opened.

Comment

• LtData
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • May 2004

Originally posted by Matthewem
                          Ok I've downloaded the converter, but when I try to convert m4a to any other format, it says the file could not be opened.
                          Did you get the DEcoder or the ENcoder? They are separate installs.

Comment

• Matthewem
                            • Jan 2005

The decoder. I'm getting a little scared here because when I ringt-click on the file while in itunes, and then click get info, it says "Kind: Protected AAC audio file". When people say protected I think that's what they mean.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Matthewem
                              The decoder. I'm getting a little scared here because when I ringt-click on the file while in itunes, and then click get info, it says "Kind: Protected AAC audio file". When people say protected I think that's what they mean.
                              Yep. You cannot use dMC to directly decode them.

If iTunes allows you to burn them to an audio cd, then you can just rip that cd to whatever format you like. Otherwise you'll have to refer to the various tools described in the FAQ section concerning iTunes conversions.

Comment

Working...

]]>