title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

this makes no sense

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drunknmaster
    • Dec 2004

this makes no sense

Ok so I'm trying to convert a .ram to an mp3 file. I rename the file extension of the .ram to .ra and then I try to convert it. It creates a mp3 file but when I play the file the track length is zero seconds and nothing happens. I've also tried renaming it to .rm and trying. The same thing happens. I tried .ram and it didn't work at all. I don't get it. I thought that if I renamed the file extension from .ram to .ra that it should convert properly.

Imma confused
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: this makes no sense

Changing the extension only works if the .ram file is not a metafile. How large is the original .ram file?

If it is just a few KB, then it is just a link to a streamed song. Try opening the file in notepad and see what type of file it links to. If the file has the prefix http:// then just download that file and convert it. However, if the prefix is mms:// or something similar, you will have to use Auxilary Input to convert it. More info is here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=4992

If the file is a few MB, then have you downloaded the real codec and do you have Real Player or Real Alternative installed?
    Last edited by LtData; December 13, 2004, 11:36 PM.

Comment

• drunknmaster
      • Dec 2004

The file is 74 bytes. I opened the file with notepad and it begins with http://.
      So since I know the address how do I download the song. The way I got the song in the first place was I right clicked on the link and just 'save target as'. So how would I download it now??

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

What is the extension of the file listed? .rm? .ra? You should be able to plug this link into your browser, or your download manager, and download it. If RealPlayer just opens up and starts playing, see if there's an option to "Save As...".

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

For more details on how to handle a streaming audio file, you might want to refer to Christina's FAQ in RealAudio files here:
          A rose by any other name..... OK, here's the scoop on those pesky .ram files. I've been clamouring all this time that .ram files are meta-files (i.e. text files giving a link to an audio file), not actual audio files. And this is true unless .... just read on. :confused: BTW, all this stuff would probably apply to

Best wishes,
          Bill mikkelsen

Comment

• drunknmaster
            • Dec 2004

thank you for your help

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

Not a problem, that's why we're here :smile2:

Comment

• drunknmaster
                • Dec 2004

Where would this save as option be? All I did was right clicked on the link and did "save target as" when I first got this file. It just saved it as a .ram file. When I open the file in notepad it opens up as

What does this mean?

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

Hmm. As I don't have RealPlayer installed myself, I'm not sure what to tell you to do.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by drunknmaster
                    Where would this save as option be? All I did was right clicked on the link and did "save target as" when I first got this file. It just saved it as a .ram file. When I open the file in notepad it opens up as

What does this mean?
                    That means you only ahve the meta file and the actual real media file is beign streamed by the server (as a SMIL). You cannot download it, you cannot save it.

That leaves you with dMC Auxiliary Input as the only option to record the audio as it is being streamed thorugh your soundcard.

Look in the FAQ section: Audio file can be played but cannot be converted.....

Comment

Working...

]]>