title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

MP3 to MP4 fails in several cases

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zero-tx
    • Dec 2004

MP3 to MP4 fails in several cases

Hi everybody,

first at all - great program the Music Converter.
    But i think there's a little bug when i convert MP3 files to the MP4 format. I used the search-function from this forum several times, but i couldn't find a similar thread who described the same problem.

The problem as follows:
    I've a MP3 file with a file size from 5.839 KB. If i try to convert it to MP4 the program crash every time with a system-error message after 28% of process.
    I've attached the image from this error, so you can see it. The picture is small and modem-friendly (39 KB).

The really strange thing is, that this error occurs not in every file i try to convert, only in some sporadically cases. Last week i've had a file, vaguely the same size and the program crashed after 10% of progress. I've no idea what this error means or what the causes are that the program crashes!!!

I've tried several test, if i convert the MP3 file back to WAV-format, the same error occurs if i try to convert the WAV-file to the MP4 format.
    But if i convert the MP3 to WAV - than to MP3 again - and finally to MP4 no error or crash occurs :confused:.

Is it a known bug? Or is it a problem with the integrity of the file? I've no idea. If the programmer of the converter need the file(s) - no problem, i can send or upload them for analysing purposes!

Overal information to the program and codecs i use:
    - dBpowerAMP Music Converter -> Release 11
    - Mp3 (Lame) -> Lame Version 3.96.1
    - Mp4 (CLI) -> Release 2 (Fast Enc v2)
    - AAC Decoder -> Release 2 (Faad v2.0)
    - Mp4 Decoder -> same as AAC Decoder

I hope somebody have an idea or fix for this problem.
    Thanks in advance!

Best regards
    zero-tx
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: MP3 to MP4 fails in several cases

I believe you may need to install the AACenc option over Psytel MP4 encoder codec.
    If this does not help, you might want to consider trying the FAAC MP4 encoder. If those do not help, can you tell us what settings you are using for the mp4 files you are trying to create (frequency, bitrate, channels, number of bits)?

May I assume your mp3 file is 5,839 kb (five thousand, eight hundred...) rather than 5.839 (just under 6) KB? (I'm pretty sure this is the case but I do ask because we have encountered some problems working with very small files).

The other thing to look at is the characteristics of the mp3 files that are not converting. What bit setting, bitrate, frequency and number of channels do they have?
    Do the same files fail all the time or do some fail to convert on one occasion and convert properly the next?

This information (about your input file settings and your mp4 settings) will be helpful should a change of the codec suggestions do not help.

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• zero-tx
      • Dec 2004

Hi xoas,

thanks for your fast response and help!
      In things like music converting i'm a total newbie ... but in codec central i found the FAAC MP4 Encoder and downloaded it, installed it - and worked without any problem!
      He converts/encode very very fast and without errors. I test it furthermore on the files where the errors occur!
      But i think now everything is okay - so it was the fault from the codec, not from the program!

Thanks for the support und the solution for my problem!

Best regards
      zero-tx

EDIT:
      One thing i don't understand... my first used MP4 encoder make a 5 MB MP3-file into 2.5 MB with 64 kbit!
      But this FAAC makes a 5 MB MP3 file with a quality from 60 to 4.8 MB??? Why is this so, the compression is not so good like in the first encoder.
      Is there an explanation for this problem?
      Last edited by zero-tx; December 14, 2004, 07:23 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Quality is not bitrate, set a low quality to get a smaller file.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• babyfacd72
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by xoas
          I believe you may need to install the AACenc option over Psytel MP4 encoder codec.
          If this does not help, you might want to consider trying the FAAC MP4 encoder. If those do not help, can you tell us what settings you are using for the mp4 files you are trying to create (frequency, bitrate, channels, number of bits)?

May I assume your mp3 file is 5,839 kb (five thousand, eight hundred...) rather than 5.839 (just under 6) KB? (I'm pretty sure this is the case but I do ask because we have encountered some problems working with very small files).

The other thing to look at is the characteristics of the mp3 files that are not converting. What bit setting, bitrate, frequency and number of channels do they have?
          Do the same files fail all the time or do some fail to convert on one occasion and convert properly the next?

This information (about your input file settings and your mp4 settings) will be helpful should a change of the codec suggestions do not help.

Best wishes,
          Bill Mikkelsen

I'm having similar (exact) same problems when trying to convert .mp3 files to .mp4 files. This is the error message I get...

FASTENC caused an invalid page fault in
          module FASTENC.EXE at 0167:00409c73.
          Registers:
          EAX=0022ff83 CS=0167 EIP=00409c73 EFLGS=00010216
          EBX=0084cef2 SS=016f ESP=00bed16c EBP=00bed190
          ECX=000000ff DS=016f ESI=008fb058 FS=7b67
          EDX=00bf0aa0 ES=016f EDI=004d1c20 GS=0000
          Bytes at CS:EIP:
          dc 04 c7 d9 cb dc 04 df 8b 45 f0 8b 5d f4 d9 ca
          Stack dump:
          00bf0a90 0000000e 008f8438 0022ff83 0084cef2 02375b8a 0053c6d0 dadb9b09 40c89419 00bf1a90 0040a8f0 008f8438 008fb038 00bf0a90 00000440 00000001

Can you please tell me exactly where to get the FAAC MP4 encoder. I searched in the codecs menu and couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks!!
          Last edited by babyfacd72; January 01, 2005, 12:54 AM.

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Originally posted by babyfacd72
            Can you please tell me exactly where to get the FAAC MP4 encoder. I searched in the codecs menu and couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks!!
            Codec cental, click on mp4. Or cllick here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-mp4.htm

Comment

Working...

]]>