title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Problem converting .mp3 files - only getting first track

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JerryK
    • Dec 2004

Problem converting .mp3 files - only getting first track

Hello all.

I have an mp3 album that plays in Real Player but nowhere else.

I was hoping to convert it to .wav and then back to .mp3. When I convert, the converted .wav file plays, but it is only grabbing the first track.

While it is converting, the remaining time says that it still has a few minutes to go and the status bar shows that it is about 1/10 done. Then it just ends.

I checked the Playback Statistics in Real just to verify that it is really an mp3. It shows "MPEG Audio".

I'm guessing that it was encoded by something similar to AlbumWrap and that it has embedded info to mark the tracks. It looks like it is stopping when it hits the first one.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jerry
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Problem converting .mp3 files - only getting first track

If the CD is just mp3s, why not just copy them directly off of the CD?

Comment

• JerryK
      • Dec 2004

I would if I had the CD.

The mp3 is all I have.

Thanks.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

You have a CD that's all mp3s, right?

Comment

• JerryK
          • Dec 2004

Lt,

No. I have a file. It's one mp3 file that contains multiple tracks. Like an Albumwrap. It's a concert bootleg that was given to me. One of those bands that lets you trade concerts.

Thanks for your interest.

jerry

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Ahhh, OK. What size is the mp3 file? Have you tried a test conversion? To test convert, put your "rip to" setting as "Test Conversion (no write)" to make sure dMC can read the file. I remember it has trouble with mp3 files of around 100MB or so.

Comment

• JerryK
              • Dec 2004

I did try a test conversion. It also went just partway and no error messages.

the file is not that big. around 40 meg.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

Well, you could try this http://www.infamus.com/albumwrap/extractor.html to extract your individual files.

Comment

• JerryK
                  • Dec 2004

Thanks Christina.

If I strike out with the conversion, I'll try that next.

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

If the test conversion also failed, then dMC cannot properly read the file.

Comment

• lion
                      • Dec 2004

hello
                      im having a similar problem - i have an 8hour, 170 meg audiobook in mp3 format(not an album wrap). ive tried test converting, it seems to work ok (it finishes at about 50% then disappears)
                      however i cannot get the full file encoded into aac format (the file finishes at 3 hours)
                      whilst encoding, dbpower seems to be going fine, saying that there is still about an hour to go (which is understandable, seeing as its such a big file) but then it just disappears, leaving me with the above 3 hour file
                      i have got all necessary codecs
                      help!
                      Last edited by lion; December 13, 2004, 05:30 AM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by lion
                        hello
                        im having a similar problem - i have an 8hour, 170 meg audiobook in mp3 format(not an album wrap). ive tried test converting, it seems to work ok (it finishes at about 50% then disappears)
                        however i cannot get the full file encoded into aac format (the file finishes at 3 hours)
                        whilst encoding, dbpower seems to be going fine, saying that there is still about an hour to go (which is understandable, seeing as its such a big file) but then it just disappears, leaving me with the above 3 hour file
                        i have got all necessary codecs
                        help!
                        Yours is a different kind of problem. The file is so big that during conversion,as it needs to be first converted to wav before it's converted to anything else, the wav gets huge and it cannot be handled due to its size.

I don't knwo what specs your mp3 has, but you can easily guestimate the corresponding wav file size.

Your mp3 files therefore is about 300kb for each minute. That probably means it is 40kbps mono, perhaps 22KHz. This would translate into 5MB for 1 minute of wav. 8 hours = 480 minutes = 2.4GB =====>>>> I think that's too big for dMC to handle. It might be possible if it dealt internally with in 8-bit mono, 22KHz freq as that would be 4 times smaller.

It depends on the available ram and temporary disk space as well I'd think.

Comment

• lion
                          • Dec 2004

so... are you saying i should perhaps make the file into a smaller wav (the one you listed above) then convert into x format?
                          ive got 512mb ddr ram and still about 60 gigs of harddrive space
                          nice guess btw :p its 48kbpsmono
                          thanks
                          Last edited by lion; December 13, 2004, 06:11 AM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by lion
                            so... are you saying i should perhaps make the file into a smaller wav (the one you listed above) then convert into x format?
                            ive got 512mb ddr ram and still about 60 gigs of harddrive space
                            nice guess btw :p its 48kbpsmono
                            thanks
                            Well, I don't know if this would help. I feel that internally it still may go through an intermediate step involving the full size wav, especially when going from that to th next file type. You could try, except it's likely to take long until you find ou the outcome.

You could maybe edit the file, chop it down into smaller chunks of say 1-2 hours each. But then again I'm not sure what program can do that. There was a reference not long ago to one, but I'll have to find it again.

Comment

• lion
                              • Dec 2004

well i tried making it into a smaller wav, but the file still stops at the 3 hour mark (even though dmc says its 100 percent complete)
                              if you would be so kind, could you please find that program
                              thank you

Comment

Working...

]]>