title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

bad file conversion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davepass
    • Dec 2004

bad file conversion

greetings,

I installed the file converter as well as the necessary codec to convert .mp4 files to .mp3.

I selected all of the .mp4 files I was wanting to convert and right-clicked and selected "convert to". In the application window that opened, I selected to convert to mp3, set my bit-rate to 160, set channels and frequency to [as source], selected a folder to place the converted files in and then clicked the "convert>>" button.

18 files were copied to the destination I specified. They all have the .mp3 extension and even retained their title, track, artist, etc information, but there appears to be no actual audio. Real Player (as well as several other players) lists the length of each song as :00. Additionally, the file size of each song is only 2k. Needless to say they do not play.

Did I do something wrong?

I am running WinXP but also tried on a Win2k machine, in case that makes any difference.

-dave
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: bad file conversion

you sure they were all .mp4 and not .m4p as in bought via iTunes?

Did you install only the .mp4 encoder or both the decoder and the encoder? They are separate installers and files.

Comment

• davepass
      • Dec 2004

I converted them from m4p to mp4 with m4p2mp4.exe

I installed:
      Mp4 & AAC decoder (using FAAD2 v2.0), AAC-HE compatible decoding
      and
      FAAC Encoder (using libfaac v1.23.5)

from http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-mp4.htm

Anything else you can think of that may be causing my problem?

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Can you play the .mp4 files? Do they work at all, or are they also blank.

Comment

• davepass
          • Dec 2004

hmmmmmmm. they are not blank. they have real file sizes and lengths > :00 BUT neither iTunes or quicktime will produce any sound. The slider and the elapsed time both advance, but no sound at all.

I guess this is the root of the problem - sorry didn't even think to check that first - duh.

Any ideas as to why this may be happening?

Comment

• xoas
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2002

We have had several similar reports. The impression is that perhaps Apple has updated iTunes to try to defeat measures to remove DRM restrictions from their files. My best advice would be to visit www.hymn-project.org to try the latest version of hymn or of iOpener. You may also want to visit their forums for advice on this issue. (You may also want to refer to this thread for a litle more backgorund on this: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6258).
            Best wishes,
            Bill mikkelsen
            Last edited by xoas; December 06, 2004, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>