title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

volume normalization

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nordthiad

• Dec 2004

volume normalization

At the moment I'm busy converting lots of my CD's and mp3's, but I noticed a problem with volume normalization.

I noticed it at the end of the track 'the white tree' from the LotR movie soundtrack; the last seconds of the track were very noisy when I use volume normalization.

Since the song its volume was too low, I put a desired volume of 105% at simple normalization so the volume would be just as high as in my other movie soundtracks. The other settings were 192kbit stereo 44100 hz, but also when I changed those settings the problem occured.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem with this normalization?
    Last edited by Nordthiad; December 05, 2004, 12:10 AM.
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2004

Re: volume normalization

Originally posted by Nordthiad
    At the moment I'm busy converting lots of my CD's and mp3's, but I noticed a problem with volume normalization.

I noticed it at the end of the track 'the white tree' from the LotR movie soundtrack; the last seconds of the track were very noisy when I use volume normalization.

Since the song its volume was too low, I put a desired volume of 105% at simple normalization so the volume would be just as high as in my other movie soundtracks. The other settings were 192kbit stereo 44100 hz, but also when I changed those settings the problem occured.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem with this normalization?
    Have you tried to first rip this track to wav (16-bit, uncompressed, 44.1KHz, 2-channel stereo), apply the simple normalization, and after that convert this wav file to mp3 with the desired specs?

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

If the track has a natural loud part at the end then 105% can force it to clip and distort. Try the Adaptive normalize (6000 ms Window).
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Nordthiad

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by ChristinaS
        Have you tried to first rip this track to wav (16-bit, uncompressed, 44.1KHz, 2-channel stereo), apply the simple normalization, and after that convert this wav file to mp3 with the desired specs?
        The original file was a mp3 at 256kbit, but with a too low volume. Problem is I can't find the CD itself anymore. But I have also tried to compress the mp3-file to a wav first, but it didnt help.

Originally posted by Spoon
        If the track has a natural loud part at the end then 105% can force it to clip and distort. Try the Adaptive normalize (6000 ms Window).
        Well, I've tried it all, but the problem still occurs. Also, I used another normalize tool, but that one did not gave this problem. So, it seems it has to do with dbpoweramp itself.

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2004

Oh, so the track has already been ripped to mp3 before and now all you want is to fix the volume.

I think a straight conversion to wav 16-bit, 44.1KHz 2-channel stereo with no DSP effects, is in order first.

Then experiment with this wav file (don't overwrite the original) and apply normalization as Spoon suggested, with different settings, testing at which point it's OK all through the file.

There are music pieces for which normalization is really not recommended as it will change the dynamics of the performance, for instance in classical recordings.

Comment

• Nordthiad

• Dec 2004

Well, I fear that didn't work either. I've tried all possible options now, but it still gives the same problem. :cry:

The outro of the song is probably too fast or has too high dB for dbpoweramp to normalize it well.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Using dMC R11? that section was re-written.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>