title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Auxilary Recording Problems

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timme
    • Dec 2004

Auxilary Recording Problems

hi,

got some little problem with the auxilary recorder, after hitting the record button the program shows me this error message "The CODEC required to decompress '\\Aux\Track01.aux' could not be opened."

um, anyone got an idea what this means?
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Auxilary Recording Problems

Originally posted by timme
    hi,

got some little problem with the auxilary recorder, after hitting the record button the program shows me this error message "The CODEC required to decompress '\\Aux\Track01.aux' could not be opened."

um, anyone got an idea what this means?
    What file would that be Track01.aux??

Comment

• xoas
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2002

Your error message might mean that the program cannot create the type of output file you are trying to create. Less likely, it might be a sign that Music Converter and/or Auxilary Input are not properly installed/configured (which is highly unlikely with the new r11 version of Music Converter, since it includes Auxilary Input in the basic installation package). Possibly it could happen if what you are trying to record isn't an analog audio signal (as might happen if you were trying to record through a data port such as a usb connection or if you accidentally had your input attached to the input connectors of your stereo).

So what are you trying to record, with what kind of output/input connection, and what are your settings for the endfiles you are trying to record (format, bits, bitrate, frequency, channels)? With this information we should be able to help get this straigthened out.

Best wishes,
      Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Does 'test recording levels' button show a VU memter that jumps up and down to the audio?
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• colinmills
          • Dec 2004

I had timme's error message after plugging in my hi-fi to the line-in socket on the sound card and running the auxiliary input module. The tape of Prussian military marches played through the system speakers fine but couldn't get started with transferring it to CD. Thinking about it, it is almost certainly a bog-standard analogue hifi, how do I get round this problem? Don't get too technical, chaps!!

Regards, Colin

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by colinmills
            I had timme's error message after plugging in my hi-fi to the line-in socket on the sound card and running the auxiliary input module. The tape of Prussian military marches played through the system speakers fine but couldn't get started with transferring it to CD. Thinking about it, it is almost certainly a bog-standard analogue hifi, how do I get round this problem? Don't get too technical, chaps!!

Regards, Colin
            Oh, the CD part will be a little later, first you get your audio files onto the computer in a meaningful format.

So you plugged line-out from your hi-fi to line-in or aux-in on your sound card, correct?

And you also set you Volume controls to take inpout for recording from the source you used: aux-in or line-in?

And you then started dMC Auxiliary Input and the player simultenaously more or less after telling dMC to record to wav or else to mp3 or wma of whatever format?

Comment

• xoas
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2002

Colin-
              Are you saying you were trying to record your tape of marches straight through your computer to burn them to cd or were you trying to record them to your hard drive?

As Spoon suggests, the first thing you want to make sure of is that your "Test Recording" meters actually show that you are set up to record an active signal. So open Auxilary input, click on the bar that says "Test recording input", start your tape and make sure you are receiving a signal. If you are not, check to make sure that you have the right source activated on your sound card (your line input ONLY) and make sure you have the volume set correctly. Then restart and try your recording.

If all of that is OK then the issue is probably with your choice of format and/or settings for your output files. Your best bet is to record to 16 bit wav at a frequency of 44.1 kHz, 2 channels. The resulting file can be converted to any other format of your choice (at least as long as you have the right codecs in dMC or a similar program), or you could burn the wav files to cd if that is what you want to do. I don't think it is possible to record from a tape or lp directly to cd (admittedly, I might be proven wrong on this).

Best wishes,
              Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

You probably could record directly to CD as a data file, not as an audio track, if the cd burner drive is defined as a driveimage or whatever it needs to act as a writable folder (I used to have that enabled but removed it since it was acting funny or else I didn't know how to make good use of it).. You'd want to do this using rewritable cd's anyway. I don't see much purpose in this method since it will be slower than writing to the HD and burning to the cd later.

But there are devices that can take audio input directly from whatever source and burn straight to the cd. Some home studio recording gear can do that, like some models of Roland 8-track recorders (and probably others) with built-in cd burner. The mixdown stereo wav ultimately gets stored on the rewritable cd, so transfering to the pc is easier since it's just another data file on a cd-rom.

Comment

Working...

]]>