title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

License for Lame MP3 encoder ???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tarunp
    • Nov 2004

License for Lame MP3 encoder ???

Am I missing something here ? According to the r11 version notes, a license is required for using the mp3 encoder. I thought the lame encoder was freeware !!!
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: License for Lame MP3 encoder ???

The lame encoder is freeware, but the owner of the mp3 patent decided to start charging royalties to all mp3 encoders, which includes LAME. More info here:
    It had to happen some time, it has happened now - the patent holders for mp3 have contacted me demanding huge sums of money. To counter this: dBpowerAMP Music Converter R11 will be pulled out from beta early (next 8 weeks), it will be combined with Aux Input and File Selector (these should not add much to the install size,

Comment

• adaywayne
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2004

What I don't understand is that it is quite easy to download the Lame Encoder (latest Version 1.96.1) from other websites (such as Lame's itself) and install it in the DMC compression folder, where it works perfectly.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

For now it is. Eventually this may become difficult.
        Also, Spoon wants to provide people a method to compress to mp3, therefore he has to pay royalties to do so.

Comment

• adaywayne
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2004

Yes, I understand that. But are there some decoders/players that will not decode/play Lame files which, in my opinion, are superior to "standard" mp3 at the same compression ratio?

Comment

• mikewillnot
            • Nov 2004

And just suppose I've acquired Lame and paid the royalties as part of some other software product? Will dbpoweramp continue to operate correctly no matter where I got the codec from?

Comment

• Razgo
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

well i won't claim to fully understand it but royalties has to be paid for every peice of software that is released to the public. so even if you paid some other music/audio software company royalties or rather the company would have paid it, you will still have to pay it for the next music/audio program you purchase. and then if you own the mp3 you created and put it on the net you will have to pay royalties for each download someone does technically speaking.

Comment

Working...

]]>