title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Can't open .m4a files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SnowMore
    • Nov 2004

Can't open .m4a files

I converted some iTunes downloaded songs to .m4a files using iOpener. Now ehen I try to convert any of these .m4a files to .mp3 (or when I do a no-write test conversion) I get the following error message:

The file 'C:\My Music\test.m4a' could not be opened.

It's the source file that can't be opened, not the Codec. Any ideas?
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Can't open .m4a files

Originally posted by SnowMore
    I converted some iTunes downloaded songs to .m4a files using iOpener. Now ehen I try to convert any of these .m4a files to .mp3 (or when I do a no-write test conversion) I get the following error message:

The file 'C:\My Music\test.m4a' could not be opened.

It's the source file that can't be opened, not the Codec. Any ideas?
    Right click on that file and select Properties. Look at the Attributes under the General tab. Also Advanced. Does it look like it's been compressed or encrypted? Also look in the Security tab. Does it look like you have write access to it? Are you Owner?

Comment

• SnowMore
      • Nov 2004

I have full rights to the file, folder, everything.

Right-Click, Details, shows nothing unusual except the ID Tag tab shows a length pf 0:00 and size of 0. The General tab shows a file size of 4.3 MB.

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by SnowMore
        I have full rights to the file, folder, everything.

Right-Click, Details, shows nothing unusual except the ID Tag tab shows a length pf 0:00 and size of 0. The General tab shows a file size of 4.3 MB.
        Ok, so then do you actually have the codec? Without that it cannot open the file either I should think. Check Codec Central. You'll need the decoding codec for .mp4 which is supposed to handle both .mp4 and .m4a .

Comment

• SnowMore
          • Nov 2004

Yeah, I've got the codec.

I tried something else. I started with my iTunes files and converted to .m4a using Hymn this time. Now The conversion to MP3 proceeds and creates a file, but the resulting MP3 file is unplayable.

Comment

Working...

]]>