title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

every time i try to rip a cd,my computer hangs after 3minutes

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmarshall
    • Jul 2002

every time i try to rip a cd,my computer hangs after 3minutes

having been a user of dBpoweramp for some time,(version 7, 8 and now 9), i have not (until now) encountered any problems. i recently upgraded to version 9 following a re-installation of win98SE, and am now unable to rip a cd. the process starts, but after about 3-4 minutes, the time remaining stays constant, there is no disk activity, ctrl-alt-del has no effect, and my only option is to reboot!
    i have installing the common controls update and the dcom update, and am not sure what to do now.
    can anyone help?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Install the ASPI update Support >> Audio CD Input
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jmarshall
      • Jul 2002

have installed aspi update, it has installed correctly (have used adaptec's aspichk program to verify), but computer still crashes. (it isn't after 3-4 minutes, it will convert one track successfully, appears to convert second track, but file has size of 0kb, and it hangs at the start of the third track, then the only option is to reboot. i can convert tracks, one at a time, as long as i reboot after each track. if not, again it crashes (even if i close and reopen the program after each track.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Try ripping a CD to wave, that will tell you if it is the CD or Compression is crashing.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jmarshall
          • Jul 2002

you suggested i tried converting a cd to wave, to determine whether the compression or the cd is crashing, i tried this and it failed, so i assumed that it was the cd at fault. i went on to convert the cd track by track (rebooting after each track), and finally ended up with the cd converted.
          i have since tried to convert another cd, and get the same results, so i went back to a previously converted cd, tried to convert this again, but again, the software hangs at the end of the second track. this cd has previously been converted with no problem, (using a n older version of dbPoweramp), so i am thinking that it is the software causing this problem.
          any further suggestions?

Comment

• June
            • Apr 2002

Perhaps you have the 'options' in the convertor set to rip to ram, the memory might be filling up until it crashes.

You might also try switching the EIDE line that the CDrom drive sits on. The burn program I use here tells me to place my two CDroms on seperate EIDE ports.

~~ June

Comment

• jmarshall
              • Jul 2002

thanxs for your suggestions, i don't seem to have an option for 'rip to ram', not quite sure what you mean by switching the line that cdrom sits on - i'm converting from cdrom to hdd, my hdd is set as pri master, my cdrom is secondary master, i've got an additional hdd set as primary slave - i assume that this is what you meant by having two drives on seperate eide channels.

Comment

• totalXSive
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Apr 2002

The Rip to RAM option is only available if you have the Power Pack installed. But it does improve ripping speed considerably .

Comment

• June
                  • Apr 2002

In my case I had my CD Burner and my CD rom on one EIDE channel, and the Nero instructions said that was a bad thing for copying CD to CD.....said it created more errors that way.

I'm not sure what to recommend on your lock-up problems though....sorry

Comment

• jmarshall
                    • Jul 2002

is it possible to download version 7 or version 8?
                    i have only had this problem with version 9.

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Yes, copy the link to download r9 and replace the r9 bit in the filename with r7, it is still on my server.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• zulu

I have same problem - computer hangs, usually when I'm half way through a batch of wave-to- mp3 conversions.

I'm inclined to suspect a disk/controller problem, which is shown up by the large amounts of data being thrashed about, but otherwise goes unnoticed

This is on a Win2K machine, 512Mb DDR RAM, XP1800, IBM 120XP

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

Could be many things, dMC is one of only a few program that will 100% your computer for a long time, so it could be an overheaing problem.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jmarshall
                            • Jul 2002

not convinced that it is a hardware problem - have used version 6, 7 and maybe 8 (not sure if i upgraded from 7 or not), and only have had a problem with version 9, albeit following a complete reinstallation of win98 on a k6-2 450mhx, 192Mb ram.

Comment

• MadiZone
                              • Aug 2002

I had the same problem with the latest dBpoweramp - which is why I upgraded to Windows XP two days ago...

Comment

Working...

]]>