title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Can I convert many folders and subfolders all at once?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbdoctor
    • Nov 2004

Can I convert many folders and subfolders all at once?

I'd like to convert my whole library at once, is there a way to do this and keep my folder structure with dBpowerAMP?

Thanks,
    Alex
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Can I convert many folders and subfolders all at once?

Install File Selector (on dMC download page), leave 'keep path when convert' unchecked and on dMCs page select same folder as original.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• woodyuk

I am converting large directories ... which contain WMA and MP3 ... is there anyway for the convertor to ignore the MP3 files. Ie I only want to convert the WMA ... or do I need to copy all the MP3's out first ?

Also once converted it seems to create a weird direcrory strecture even if you select delete orginals. Any idea how to simply just replace a WMA with a MP3.

I am using the multi-select tool.

Paul

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

Yes there is an option to choose to convert or ignore converting music of different formats. From the File Selector window therer is a button marked "Converting". The instructions for this (found in the Advanced Topics Help area in the File Converter Help file) are as follows:
        Audio file types can be excluded from conversion (such as Mp3), a list showing all audio types dMC is able to convert is shown when this button is selected. Un-tick audio types to be excluded from conversion
        With respect to the weird file structure, did you follow Spoon's advice about leaving unchecked the little box in File Converter that says "Keep File Path When Convert"? This will create a new file tree structure within your existing file tree structure. If this box is unchecked then what you want to do is to assure that in your dBpowerAMP Music Converter Window (which will appear after you click on the button that reads "Converting") make sure that your output option is "Same Folder as Original."

Be aware that these instructions involve the use of the dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) File Selector tool which is a separate download from dMC (unless you have the most recent beta version of dMC). Your reference to a "Multi-Select tool" may be referring to this but I cannot be sure about this because dMC does allow you to select multiple files for conversion on its own (even though for large batch conversions File Selector performs the job better).

Hope this helps.
        Good luck and best wishes,
        Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Unregistered

thanks for solving the first issue - thats great.

Yes I am using the multi file selector addon and have it set to keep files in the same folder. I also delete the wma. However if I have the files in say

C:\temp convert\temp3\Luke Slater\Freek Funk\ "all my wma"

I end up with

C:\temp convert\temp3\Luke Slater\Freek Funk\temp convert\temp3\Luke Slater\Freek Funk\ "all my mp3"

Thanks

Paul

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Look for the help file for dMC R11 - it will be in the beta section in about 4 days - it explains this for file selector.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

I used the file selector to convert about 20GB of music (probably over 2000 files in all) and had a couple of problems.

First, I had a weird error where I selected some files, hit "convert", the convert dialog appeared and I immedaitely got a warning about not having a codec for "." installed. After selecting a smaller number of files I was able to convert the same directories. In some cases I could only convert 4 or 5 files at a time, and in cases I could do over 500 at a time.

Second, it seemed to get itself a bit confused and gave incorrect names to some of the output files. For example, I have 5 directories under "The Eagles". All directories were converted at the same time but the files in some directories have the same names as those in others. They do however have the correct content. It's just a bit confusing to click "Hotel California" and listen to "Saturday Night".

Third, some files ended up in a top-level directory instead of the correct subdirectory.

I had followed the directions in this thread so I'm a bit confused. Cananyone enlighten me on this? Thanks.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

>having a codec for "." installed

The path might have gone over the 256 limit and was clipped, check which folders you are writing to.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Phil McCavity
                  • Dec 2004

Well, I solved the "cannot open codec for '.'" problem.

The directories I was converting contained .m3u playlists as well as .mp3 files. It was pretty painful deselecting all of them but it worked perfectly afterwards. An option to filter by file type when a number of directories is selected would be really nice!

Comment

• xoas
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2002

An option to filter by file type when a number of directories is selected would be really nice!
                    Please check out post #4 above. This feature would allow to to automatically filter m3u files.

Best wishes,
                    Bill mikkelsen

Comment

Working...

]]>