title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How to upgrade to new version

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

How to upgrade to new version

Hi

I can't uninstall the current version to do an upgrade. The uninstall short-cut in the start menu (Uninstall dMC) could not locate the uninstall file.
    I am using Win XP and installed the current version without signing in as an administrator. Could that be a possible reason. I have no problems using the program. Also, the program does not show up in "Add/Remove Program" of the control panel.

Could I simply delete the "dBpowerAMP" folder where the program was installed and then install the new version?

Thanks
    nb
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: How to upgrade to new version

If you try installing the update version first, it should first locate and uninstall the previous version, so I would recommend trying that first.

If that is unsatisfactory, you could remove the folder although I would check to make sure what all is in your folder since the dBpowerAMP folder will also contain your codecs, dB Audio Player (if installed), Power Pack (if installed), CD Writer (if installed), and Sveta (if installed). All of these would need to be reinstalled.

My bet is that a simple install of the new version will do the trick for you. What version of dMC are you replacing?

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Installing the program while not signed in as Administrator might explain why the program does not show up in the Add\Remove Programs. However, I don't know what other repercussions this would have. It's best to install all program while logged in under an administrative-access account

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

LtData is quite right.
        Don't know how I overlooked that.
        You are best off installing with administrative priviledges and I suspect you are right to remove the folder manually before installing the new version.

Best wishes,
        Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

How about sign in again under the non-admin account that was used to install the programs the firsst time and uninstall them that way.

Then sign in again as an admin and redo the installations as needed.

Comment

• Unregistered

I was trying to upgrde to ver 10.1 from ver 9. Am I right to understand that a new version is coming out in several weeks? If so, will wait for it before doing upgrade.
            Anyway, I install most programs as non-administrator unless the program does not allow it. If I can do without the program, I will not install it or will look for alternatives.

Funny thing is the program works fine without admin install but the unstaller could not find the uninstall file. I think the file it was looking for was something like "spoonuninstall" or something like that in the 'windows', 'system32' folder.
            I am fine with deleting the folder the program is currently in and then install the new version in a new folder (with the same name). Only concern is whether there is anything I should know before doing that. Any tips and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

• xoas
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2002

I was trying to upgrde to ver 10.1 from ver 9. Am I right to understand that a new version is coming out in several weeks? If so, will wait for it before doing upgrade.
              The new version is currently available in a beta version and can be downloaded through the beta test section of this forum here:
              New release for WMA 9.1. First install the WMA 9.1 system codecs: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codecs/db-wmfdist95.exe 5MB then the new dBpowerAMP Codec: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/dBpowerAMP-codec-wmav91.exe 210KB

Be advised that while this program is very close to full release, therer is no predicting exactly when full release will take place.

Also, it seems to me that some functions of Music Converter may not work if they are installed wiith administrative priviledges. I am not fully sure about this but I believe this will be more the case with release 11 since, as you may be aware, in the new version the mp3 codec will be available only through Power Pack. So there is a chance you would be happier with version 10.1.

Perhaps Spoon could comment on the ins and outs of not installing with administrative priviledges.

Best wishes,
              Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

Originally posted by Unregistered
                I am fine with deleting the folder the program is currently in and then install the new version in a new folder (with the same name). Only concern is whether there is anything I should know before doing that. Any tips and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
                Try deleting the folder and then installing Release 10.1 with administrative priviledges. There are problems that happen if you don't install the program with administrative priviledges. These problems range from being unable to rip CDs to being unable to convert songs at all.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Without admin rights to cannot even guarentee than any files will be placed in C:\Program Files\

so nothing might install.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>