title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

wma codec

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: wma codec

I do recall seeing references to this type of file being used for video tracks from (I believe) dvd's and/or avi's.

This being said, there are a few threads which might provide some hope. These are:

I´m trying to convert the audio from a video file (mpeg) into an audio file only (mp3). I tried with dBpowerAMP and it works, but the original 10 minutes file was converted in an 8 minutes file and sounds faster as the original. Is any way with this program to make this convertion? If not, could you suggest any free

I know the dBpowerAMP family of programs does not deal with video conversions. However questions concerning this have arisen at times. I'd like to list here 3 programs that I use regularly and which petty much take care of my video conversion needs. All are free. 1) Stoik's VideoPak from www.stoik.com - several

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• das[ITA]

Originally posted by ChristinaS
      Just how big is this file anway?

If it's less than 1GB (it had better be!) you can "email" it to one of us using www.yousendit.com so we can take a crack at it.

I've sent it to you, ChristinaS

Comment

• das[ITA]

Originally posted by xoas
        I do recall seeing references to this type of file being used for video tracks from (I believe) dvd's and/or avi's.

This being said, there are a few threads which might provide some hope. These are:

I´m trying to convert the audio from a video file (mpeg) into an audio file only (mp3). I tried with dBpowerAMP and it works, but the original 10 minutes file was converted in an 8 minutes file and sounds faster as the original. Is any way with this program to make this convertion? If not, could you suggest any free

I know the dBpowerAMP family of programs does not deal with video conversions. However questions concerning this have arisen at times. I'd like to list here 3 programs that I use regularly and which petty much take care of my video conversion needs. All are free. 1) Stoik's VideoPak from www.stoik.com - several

Best wishes,
        Bill Mikkelsen

Well, I saw these threads and...
        I used VirtualDub and this is the application the file come from
        ...and I couldn't use other settings

I can't burn this track because I haven't got a DVD burner (and, how noticed ChristinaS, I can't burn it on anything but a DVD)
        ...than I'm not sure that Nero can burn it (if Nero Wave Editor can't open it)

Comment

• petriburg
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Apr 2002

If all else fails, you might find some value in checking out this application, which allows 10 conversions free, after which, registration costs $19.95.
          I haven't tried it myself, not having any files to work with, but it must be worth a try. http://www.audio-converter.com/index.html
          Good luck!
          Petri

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by das[ITA]
            I've sent it to you, ChristinaS
            Got it! Just puzzled as to how you got that particular email (my junk mail email :D ).

I'm starting to look at it and will post whatever I discover.

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

Keep your fingers crossed. I'm using Windows Media Encoder to convert that file to wma. I think I may have selected settings which are too hi-fi though. In any case, if this works, then this is one (maybe the only one) option of converting this kind of file. Once the wma is done, I can convert it to anything else, space permitting.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by petriburg
                If all else fails, you might find some value in checking out this application, which allows 10 conversions free, after which, registration costs $19.95.
                I haven't tried it myself, not having any files to work with, but it must be worth a try. http://www.audio-converter.com/index.html
                Good luck!
                Petri
                Tested it, doesn't work on non-pcm wav files.

In the meanwhile I found reference also to a program which may be similar to whatever created that file: http://www.ptpart.co.uk/quickrecord/...ve_options.htm

Don't know what good this knowledge may do me though. :confused:
                Last edited by ChristinaS; October 25, 2004, 03:09 AM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2004

Yessss! Victory!

Windows Media Encoder has successfully converted this file to wma @64kbps - as CD quality audio (CBR), which results in a file about 44MB, so just a bit larger than the original you sent me. This process took about 25min.

The full, uncompressed wav @ 44.1KHz, 16-bit would be over 900MB! I think I'll pass on making a full PCM wav out of it, even with a large HD, I don't have 1GB lying about :p

To make sure it all worked ok, I converted the wma to mp3 @64kbps, 44.1KHz, CBR using dMC. This resulted in a file almost equal in size to your original acm wav file. This took about 8 minutes (from wma to mp3).

That first step from acm wav to wma was necessary to bring it to a format that dMC understands. After that just about any other conversion is possible.

So, do you want to try to convert your own file the way I did it, or do you want me to send either the resulting wma or the mp3 to you? I'd still think it would be beneficial if you downloaded and installed Windows Media Encoder and played around with it too.
                  You can download that free from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ad/default.asp .

Comment

• xoas
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2002

Re: Yessss! Victory!

Bravo!

Comment

• ChristinaS
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by xoas
                      Bravo!
                      Thanks, Bill! Just a lucky break, really. :blush: :p :D

Not knowing actually what to do with it, after a couple of false starts, I just tried WME on a whim. It took me by surprize, I didn't expect it to work, I almost fell off my chair!

So, das[ITA] , what do I do with this 43MB of stuff now? In 24 hours I'll send it all to the recycling bin if you don't stake your claim :D

You have my email addy, I don't have yours but I have your file

Comment

• das[ITA]

Thanks, Bill! Just a lucky break, really. :blush: :p :D

Not knowing actually what to do with it, after a couple of false starts, I just tried WME on a whim. It took me by surprize, I didn't expect it to work, I almost fell off my chair!

So, das[ITA] , what do I do with this 43MB of stuff now? In 24 hours I'll send it all to the recycling bin if you don't stake your claim :D

You have my email addy, I don't have yours but I have your file

Today my Canadian teacher wanted to test my knowledge about English Romantic poetry and when I came back home I opened my Mozilla Navigator to see news on the forum...

I immediately tried to convert my file, when you was still asleep, but I had to stop conversion because my CPU was burning up! (it's only a Pentium III)

so I sent you a mail from my address, if you still want to send me the converted file using www.yousendit.com

However I have no words to express my thanks to you for your interest in such a futile thing

Comment

• ChristinaS
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2004

Hi again!

Email sent to you with directions to the place to get your file.

And no, it wasn't a futile thing at all. Quite educational actually.

| hope you don't melt your CPU downloading 43MB of stuff :D

Comment

• ChristinaS
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2004

Hey, das[ITA] - have you finished with those files uploaded to my server? I'd like to delete them soon. Please let me know.

Comment

• das[ITA]

Hey, das[ITA] - have you finished with those files uploaded to my server? I'd like to delete them soon. Please let me know.
                              You are right
                              I might have download faster, but I couldn't
                              However I have finished, now, so you can delete them

Thank you ever

Comment

• ChristinaS
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Apr 2004

You're welcome

Comment

Working...

]]>