title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

error in characters, mp3 tagging problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shadowjuan
    • Oct 2004

error in characters, mp3 tagging problem

I am spanish and use dbpoweramp mainly to decrease files bitrate to send them to phone. This is the problem: I have a file called

\La Oreja De Van Gogh - Soñaré.mp3
    MP3tag (v1&v2) are:
    Title: Soñaré
    Artist: LODVG

The file is 160kbps. I am using dbpa to convert it to 80kbps, and when I set the program to "preserve id3tags" the final result is this:

Mp3tag (v1&v2)
    Title: Soar <--
    Artist: LODVG

!!!!!!!!!!!

"Soñaré" has become an odd "soar" (for a spanish like me :p)
    The application simply kills the international character without explaining... these characters: áéíóú ÁÉÍÓÚ Ññ , etc are not supported... why if the "problem" is simple as trasladate a text field?

I've read something about a MP3.dll file but it is not available to download... Please how can this issue be fixed?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: error in characters, mp3 tagging problem

dMC R11 fixes all international problems.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• shadowjuan
      • Oct 2004

Thanks, but...

Yesterday, later than last pos I wrote, I downloaded r11 with ppack5, the beta one, and installed it; now the characters do not disappear; now they are replaced by others. For example, I tried to write in the IDTag explorer option (properties of the file) and the result was good; winamp shows exactly what I wrote, but the info tag yellow window that shows when hover the mouse over the .mp3 file shows me other characters; I can't remeber exactly which ones were but instead of "ñ" dbpa showed things like "Â~" (all without quote marks) or similar set of characters, but when I transcode a file, for example from 128kbps to 80, or converting from wav or whatever, the info is correct, but dbpa shows the info (yellow little window) with the set of wrong (well, substituted --is the word?--) characters. The odd thing is that I created a .mp3 file from a .wav and I set manually later in file properties page this:
      Artist: ñÑñÑñÑ
      Just to try, and oh my god! the info showed in the yellow square is correct! shows ñÑñÑñÑ instead of Â~Â~Â~Â~Â~Â~!!!!!! Why??? Later tried it again and did not worked...

BTW why now we must register mp3 encoding? OK to support Powerpack, but MP3 lame codec is free...

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

[/QUOTE]BTW why now we must register mp3 encoding? OK to support Powerpack, but MP3 lame codec is free... [QUOTE]

Yes but mp3 itself is pretty much not (alas). See:
        It had to happen some time, it has happened now - the patent holders for mp3 have contacted me demanding huge sums of money. To counter this: dBpowerAMP Music Converter R11 will be pulled out from beta early (next 8 weeks), it will be combined with Aux Input and File Selector (these should not add much to the install size,

Comment

• shadowjuan
          • Oct 2004

Re: error in characters, mp3 tagging problem MP3 Affair

Comment

• shadowjuan
            • Oct 2004

Re: error in characters, mp3 tagging problem / MP3 Affair

I know about mp3 codec patents, but in i-don't-know-where I read too that lame encoder was some kind of open source (GPL or LGPL, maybe? can't remember) and users were continuously developing and other stories... then, if that goes on, should they make us pay for other MP3 variants? :vmad: (Blade, Xing, ......................) And what about programs that are freeware such as WinLame encoder? This is not fair... dBPowerAmp is the best conversion program I know about... :blush: :cry:

btw: alas = ? (I am spanish :p)

Comment

• xoas
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2002

As you say, this action by the patent-holder for mp3 is not directed at users of any single mp3 codec, it is directed against programs that encode/decode mp3. They have expanded from wanting royalties only from obviously commercial programs to programs that are essentially freeware (such as WinAmp and dBpowerAMP) and there is no reason why they might not be taking action against programs that are totally freeware.
              For all I know, the patent-holder is already doing this.

Users are, I guess free to continue to use older programs and codecs to manage mp3 files but you won't be able to update and continue to use mp3 without paying a royalty to use mp3. Or you can avoid mp3 altogether, in which case dBpowerAMP (or other freeware or essentially freeware programs) will continue to be free.

Alas- es una lástima

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

>but the info tag yellow window that shows when hover the mouse over the .mp3 file
                >shows me other characters

Which Windows version do you have? XP?
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>