title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Music converter doesn't read CD

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cmk_78212
    • Oct 2004

Music converter doesn't read CD

...I can still rip, but I have to go into windows explorer and access converter through the file menu.

I have a new HP box with XP SP1

I like the Converter window becasue it allows me to add ID3 tags and access freedb.

This used to work, and suddenly stopped working, though I don't know of any changes I made to my settings or major changes I made in my intstalled software.

I have tried changing the table of contents setting as seen in another thread.
    I have tried changing CD comunication to "limited"
    I have tried making sure my auto run value was "1"
    I have tried reintalling without any luck

Any suggestions?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Music converter doesn't read CD

Do your originally try to convert with AudioCD Input? If so, do you have the correct source drive selected?

Also, is this with one CD or any CD?

Comment

• cmk_78212
      • Oct 2004

I did originally use audio CD input. It worked both with my CD-ROM and my DVD-RW. I would put a cd in and it would give me a list of numbered tracks. If I was on the net, options of freedb titles would pop up. Now, I've tried about a dozen CD's in each drive and all I get is the message, "insert audio CD."

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

Have you tried uninstalling dMC (dBpowerAMP Music Converter) and your codecs and reinstalling them? If not, I would recommend you try this.
        If that does not work, I have the following questions which I hope might help find a solution for you:
        I assume that dMC did work initially with your new system and stopped working. Is this so? If you look in dMC Configuration, does it show a codec for decoding (reading) cda files? If you go Start>Control Panel>Folder Options>File Types what associations do you see for AudioCD and .cda?
        What version of dMC are you using?

Good luck and best wishes,
        Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• cmk_78212
          • Oct 2004

When I first loaded it it worked great. Then I didn't use it for two months or so. When I tried using it again, it didn't work.

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the program, but not all of my codecs.

I'm using version 10(.1 I think)

.cda is associated with poweramp player. I have also tried associating with audio input, and it doens't work.

When I put a cd in, I can still use poweramp player, and audio input still comes up as an option, but audio input doesn't bring up any song titles if I choose it.

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Did you try clicking "Refresh" after you insert an audio CD?

Comment

• xoas
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2002

When I put a cd in, I can still use poweramp player, and audio input still comes up as an option, but audio input doesn't bring up any song titles if I choose it.
              Do the separate tracks show with their times, just not the track titles and album title?
              If so, unless you have ripped this cd before, are you connected to the internet? dMC will not display track and album titles unless you are connected to the internet to be able to access the FreeDB database.
              If you get no reading of the number of tracks, that would be a different problem.

Comment

• cmk_78212
                • Oct 2004

I have tried refresh and still all I get is "insert audio cd"

What I mean by, "I can still use audio converter" is that I can go to "my computer," select the CD in its drive, open it in a window, select all the tracks, then go to file and use, "convert," and I can still rip. However, this does not let me access the interface of CD audio input and freedb. No matter what I do, all I get with CD audio input is "insert audio cd"

Comment

• ChristinaS
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by cmk_78212
                  I have tried refresh and still all I get is "insert audio cd"

What I mean by, "I can still use audio converter" is that I can go to "my computer," select the CD in its drive, open it in a window, select all the tracks, then go to file and use, "convert," and I can still rip. However, this does not let me access the interface of CD audio input and freedb. No matter what I do, all I get with CD audio input is "insert audio cd"
                  Aha! You have to tell dMC AUdio CD Input which cd rom drive you're using.

Click on Options and take a good look at what it thinks is the cd drive. Chances are it is pointing to something else. You can set it from there by clicking in the description it displays and using the arrows to point to another device. The Advanced button can be used to select other ripping configuration elements concerning that drive, in case the defaults do not work for you. This by itself is a vast subject of discussion :D

Comment

• cmk_78212
                    • Oct 2004

ChristinaS wins,
                    I went to options. my DVD-RW drive was selected, but after doing this, I got a message saying that I was not logged on with administrator privaleges, though I only have one log on and that is as administrator. After telling it okay, MY TRACKS CAME UP and my freebd options came up! While still a little glitchy, I can live with one error message to make this thing work.

Thanks for the help everybody.

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

I did mention in my first post to make sure you had the correct source drive selected, but didn't emphasis this or give instructions.
                      Thanks for making that clearer ChristinaS

Comment

• xoas
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2002

I think both LtData and Christina desrve a lot of credit for being on the right track but I think cmk 78212 deserves the most credit himself for figuring out that he was not logged on with administrative priviledges (an issue none of us raised).

Still, I'm all for any thread that has a happy ending.
                        Best wishes,
                        Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• LtData
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • May 2004

xoas: he was logged in as administrator, but your right, we need to remember to bring this up when discussing problems.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2004

Just a thought. I'm wondering if although he was logged in as admin, the user name might have been changed at some point since the original installation of dMC & Co. I know I have changed admin user names at some point on one pc in order to allow it to access other pc's on my home network using all the same name everywhere, without headaches. Since I'm using dBpowerAMP on only one of my pc's and it's not the one with the changed admin user name, I have not had this problem.

Comment

• xoas
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Apr 2002

Good point.
                              The thing is, you can't ever control or anticipate all the possible factors that might contribute to a user's problem. We can make our best suggestions, and we can ask questions to help clarify the nature and source of the user's problem. In doing so, we help improve the overall understanding of these programs in hope that the next user in cmk's predicament might not have to go through all of this problem solving (or that it won't take helpful users as long to pinpoint the nature of the problem).

So good work team!

Comment

Working...

]]>