title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Can anyone help me get the Music Converter Working?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveB
    • Oct 2004

Can anyone help me get the Music Converter Working?

I am a new user. I am running windows XP Home with Media Player 9. I have downloaded and installed the converter together with the relevant WMA Codecs.
    When trying to convert any .WMA file to MP3 I get the following message......".wma' is encrypted which dMC is not able to decode"

I have tried Uninstalling and reinstalling..........I have tried deleting the registry folder and reinstalling but, nothing seems to work!!

Does anyone out there have any ideas that I can try?
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Can anyone help me get the Music Converter Working?

There is a specific item on this in the Support section of this website (located here:
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc-support.htm). It reads:
    Error Message 'The File xyz is Copy Protected and Will Not be Converted'
    A. The audio files you are trying to convert have been protected by the owner, they deliberately did not what those audio files being shared around. Under law it is illegal for any program to remove copy protection from audio files.
    Please note - by default all CD tracks ripped using Windows Media Player Version 7 to WMA are copy protected, even though the files came from your CDs the resulting WMA files cannot be converted (also if you install Windows, nothing will be able to play your files!). To disable copy protection in Windows Media Player Version 7 select Tools >> Options >> CD Audio and Uncheck Enable Personal Rights Management, now any new WMA files ripped can be converted.
    Assuming these are files that you have rights to, you may be able to use either of 2 workarounds. The first is that if you can burn these files to cd format you can re-rip the files to a different format from the cd.
    The other is that if you can play these files (say in WinAmp or Windows Media Player) you may be able to record them off of your sound card using dMC Auxilary Input.
    It may be the case that neither of these workarounds will help, owing to Microsoft's advances in encryption.
    If you are creating files in wma format, do make sure you are not creating encrypted wma files when you are doing so if there is any possibility you will want to convert them to a different format later. Since version 7 of Windows Media Player, the default setting for encryption is "off" but you still have the option of encrypting your wma files even so.

Best wishes and good luck,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

Working...

]]>