title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Artist cd text is bad in case of compilation.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • denovellis
    • Oct 2004

Artist cd text is bad in case of compilation.

I'm new DBPowerAmp and I like it a lot, but I can't do what I want to with it.
    I create my own CD's with music from a variety of sources, mostly recorded from FM radio.
    I name my wav files this way "Bob Dylan - Don't Think Twice.wav"
    When I have collected enough I burn another CD using Nero.
    Before burning the Title shows "Don't Think Twice" and Artist shows "Bob Dylan".
    Then in the next dialogue box I enter the 'Title (CD-TEXT)' with my own name for the CD (eg "Rock Disk 1") and 'Artist (CD-TEXT)' eg "Various"
    There may be many different artists on the CD.
    I can then rip my own CD with dbPowerAmp Music Converter and make mp3 files which are named however I choose. eg
    "Bob Dylan - Don't Think Twice" or
    Don't Think Twice - Bob Dylan"
    When I look at the properties of the mp3 files they also show the title of my CD ("Rock Disk 1").
    Could someone please tell me if that is right (ie it can't be done)
    Thank You

Fabrice
  • Wayne
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Aug 2002

Re: Artist cd text is bad in case of compilation.

dMC will create tag information based on the CD-Text written to the CD. As you have found the album title written to the tag (and appearing in the properties) will be whatever you put in when filling in the CD-Text. e.g. Rock Disk 1.

When you create the album how do you name the tracks? Are they similar to how you name your wav files? If so, you could try using the 'compilation' button available whenh you use the CD Audio Input program to rip the tracks to separate out the track title from the artist's name. This should allow you to create mp3 in whatever format you like, however the album title will still be whatever you called the original cd.

Wayne

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

If I read your question properly, you wish to not have the name for the compilation CD included in the mp3 tags. The reason it is being included is due to the tagging options you have selected (i.e. album name, which is the compilation name).

I am unsure if you can get the proper tags in one step, but you should be able to in two steps. First, get the files ripped with the proper names. Next, get the "Tag from Filename" utility add-on at Codec Central. This should properly tag the files according to the filename they have. Note: Tag from Filename requires the PowerPack. You can download the trial for it to see if this works. Also, the newest version of dMC, 11RC1, comes with the PowerPack installed to allow ripping to mp3, due to copyright issues.

This should solve you problem. Of course, there might be an easier way somebody else can suggest.

Comment

• denovellis
        • Oct 2004

Can you give me an email address when I can send sreenshot to show you exactly the problem.

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

You should be able to post it here (you will need to click the Go Advanced button to do this.
          Best wishes,
          Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Razgo
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

not everyone can upload attachments. send the screen shot to razgo@razgo.com and i will show it here.

Comment

• xoas
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2002

Apologies.
              I had forgotten about that.
              Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Razgo
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

just got the screen shot:

Comment

• xoas
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2002

Are you saying you would liek the artist information to show up in dMC Audio CD Input so that that information can be written to the tag for the mp3 file after you rip it (from your homemade compilation cd)?

Comment

• denovellis
                    • Oct 2004

Yes. As you can see in the attached picture, the artists informations is written in the cd. I use cd-text manager to show you that the artist is present ben dbpoweramp doesn't read it.

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Any chance of sending such a CD to me? so I can try.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ChristinaS
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2004

Don't know if that would do it, but in dMC Audio CD Input > Options > CD Drive > Advanced you have a box to check Read CD text (if drive and disc support it).

Comment

• denovellis
                          • Oct 2004

The read cd-text checkbox is specified and the drive support it as you can see in the attached picture. For me this is a bug that can be corrected only by the develpment team. It's easy to reproduce, just create an audio cd with nero and specify a different artist for each track. dbpoweramp read only artist text once (the artist of the compilation) but it have to read it for each track too. I think it's the better way to solve the problem.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2004

Well, it looks like my drives don't support CD Text anyway, so I can't try this.

Besides, the latest Nero I have (v 6) has a mind of its own concerning file/track names when I make a compilation. Instead of showing me the actual file names, it shows me what it thinks is the song name extracted from the file names. Since I don't always (practically never actually) have file names named according to that particular naming convention Nero seems to assume, I often end up with strange names there, making it impossible to relate the compilation to the actual files I have. I suppose Nero has some preference settings, but I haven't found them yet. I wish I'd never installed Nero 6, when my Nero 5 was working just fine :(

Comment

Working...

]]>