title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

MP3 --> AAC conversion crash

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chocha
    • Oct 2004

MP3 --> AAC conversion crash

Whenever I try to convert certain MP3s to AAC format the encoder crashes. dbPowerAmp stays running (only the actual codec/encoder crashes) and I get an error message telling me that fastenc.exe has crashed. It says the AppVer is 1.0.0.1.

It works fine for most MP3s, but only fails like this in a few.

I've found a similar problem posted elsewhere: http://www.expansys.com.gr/forumthre...17&thread=2254.

I'm also running Windows XP SP2.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by chocha; October 15, 2004, 12:07 AM.
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: MP3 --> AAC conversion crash

When you say "certain" mp3's, is it fair to assume that there are other mp3's that go through this conversion OK? Is it also fair to assume that those files that fail to convert consistently fail to convert?
    If so, is there anything these "certain" mp3's have in common (in terms of frequency, bitrate, variable or constant or average bitrate, number of channels)?
    What AAC settings are you trying to encode to?
    Did you install the AACenc file over the AAC encoder codec?
    Did you have dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) installed at the time you installed SP2, and if so have you since uninstalled and reinstalled dMC and your codecs?

While the answers to the questions above might lead to different recommendations, let me suggest the following:
    1. Take one of these mp3 files and see if you can test convert it or convert it to wav;
    2. If your AAC files are of a different frequency or number of channels from your mp3 files, enable Professional Frequency Conversion (from the dMC Configuration Window (Start>All Programs>dBpowerAMP Music Converter>Configuration>dMC Configuration);
    3. If you have Power Pack installed, make sure that the priority for your conversion (set in the window that displays the progress for the conversion) is set to "Normal" or "Below Normal";
    4. If you can convert your mp3 to wav, see if you convert to the wav file to AAC;
    5. If you cannot convert the wav to AAC, try uninstalling and reinstalling your AAC encoder codec (and AACenc).

Try these out ideas and suggestions out. If any works, let us know what helped.
    If they don't work, please furnish details about the questions I asked in the first paragraph and the results of the suggestions in the second.

Good luck and best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• hans-j�rgen
      • Sep 2004

PsyTEL FastEnc is buggy, use either PsyTEL AACEnc or FAAC. Simply raising the bitrate with FastEnc might also work, because it rather crashes with lower settings than -preset normal.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by chocha
        Whenever I try to convert certain MP3s to AAC format the encoder crashes. dbPowerAmp stays running (only the actual codec/encoder crashes) and I get an error message telling me that fastenc.exe has crashed. It says the AppVer is 1.0.0.1.

It works fine for most MP3s, but only fails like this in a few.

I've found a similar problem posted elsewhere: http://www.expansys.com.gr/forumthre...17&thread=2254.

I'm also running Windows XP SP2.

Any ideas?
        Music Man:
        Get rid of sp2

Comment

Working...

]]>