title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ogg Vorbis Questions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Ogg Vorbis Questions

I just have a few questions about Ogg Vorbis

First, what is the latest version of the ogg codec available for the dMC.

Next, does the P4 CLI codec work on the Pentium-M, as the P-M has SSE2 support, or is it something P4 specific?

Can't wait for the next version of the dMC. Buying the power pack as soon as it comes out. Keep up the good work Spoon!
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Ogg Vorbis Questions

First, what is the latest version of the ogg codec available for the dMC
    Current dMC codec is v. 11.1 which uses Ogg v. 1.0.1.

Next, does the P4 CLI codec work on the Pentium-M, as the P-M has SSE2 support, or is it something P4 specific?
    I'm not technically literate to know for sure whether the P4 codec would work on a Pentium M or not. But I do note that in addition to (or as part of a family of) Pentium M processors there is a Pentium 4 Processor M (see: http://www.intel.com/design/mobile/processors.htm). My guess would be that the codec is sufficiently P4-oriented that a non-P4 Pentium-M Processor probably can't use the Ogg P4 codec. But, I might be wrong on this.

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen
    Last edited by xoas; October 09, 2004, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Ogg 1.1.0 is being worked on as I speak.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Who said I am not efficient

A brand spanking new Ogg codec, download: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/dBpowerAMP-codec-ogg.exe 403KB Changes: Uses new Ogg 1.1.0 code Now 6 channel compatible (correct channel mapping), 24 bit compatible Average bit rate returned for dAP MMC New dMC R11 compatible tagging (unicode) Possible to correctly
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

The reason I ask if the P4 ogg codec will work on the Pentium M is that the Pentium M also supports SSE2, which I thought was the optimization in the codec.
          Note I said Pentium M, not Pentium 4M. I'm referring to the Banias core processor, also part of Centrino.

Comment

• xoas
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2002

Yes, I did note that.
            And you may well be correct.
            On the other hand, the existence of the P4M suggests that there is an architectural difference between the basic M processor and the P4. My assumption then is that the P4 codec will not work with the standard Pentium M processor. I have sent an email to the e-address for the P4 codec to request their opinion on this. I will let you know the results.

Best wishes,
            Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• xoas
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2002

Unfortunately, the mailbox cited is apparently full and possibly unattended.
              Perhaps Spoon or another user might know for sure about this.

Otherwise you can either sit tight using the regular Ogg codec until and unless you know for sure or you can experiment and try the P4 encoder. I do not know what the consequences would be for your system if the P4 codec is incompatible with your processor (although again some other user might be familiar with the consequences of this error).

Best wishes,
              Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Pentium M, is pentium mobile? it might be fully p4 compatible.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• xoas
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2002

Pentium M, is pentium mobile? it might be fully p4 compatible
                  Yes it is pentium mobile and it supports SSE-2 but there is a separate Pentium 4-M processor which appears to combine both. The Codec description (which admittedly might be a bit dated) indicates that the codec is designed to work with P4 processors only.
                  The other question would be-what is the worst that could happen if you tried the P4 encoder on a non-P4 machine?

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

Just to clarify:
                    The Pentium 4 M is just a Pentium 4 that can run at lower voltage and therefore use less power.

The Pentium M is a mobile-only CPU that basically combines the "best parts" of the Pentium 3 and Pentium 4 cores. It supports SSE2 like the Pentium 4.

I would think the only consequence of me using the P4 codec is it not working, mabye? Or it might check for the CPU-type and not install if it's not a P4 specifically.

Update: Just tried to convert, I got the "Unable to run converter" at the end of the conversion attempt. Oh well.
                    Last edited by LtData; October 13, 2004, 01:44 AM.

Comment

• xoas
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2002

As you have discovered, the Ogg P4 codec will download and install on a non-P4 machine. I'm glad it doesn't do anything worse than fail the conversion.
                      Best wishes,
                      Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• UnexplodedCow
                        • Dec 2004

I'd say go and try it, I don't think there'd be any harm....aside from you not gaining any speed for encoding/decoding. Now I just wish someone would come out with an AMD optimized version, or am I stupid and not knowing there is one out?

Comment

• LtData
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • May 2004

Originally posted by UnexplodedCow
                          I'd say go and try it, I don't think there'd be any harm....aside from you not gaining any speed for encoding/decoding. Now I just wish someone would come out with an AMD optimized version, or am I stupid and not knowing there is one out?
                          Tried it, and it didn't work at all. As for an AMD optimized version... nobody seems to be releasing ANY optimized versions anymore.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Dec 2004

i wish an AMD version would come out. My brother has an AMD 64 bit 3000+ overclocked to 3200 +...... and I thought I could use his computer for audio conversion, but after learning that there wasn't an AMD optimized Ogg Vorbis encoder, I was disappointed and went back to my sh¡**y Dell Pentium 4. Dells suck. :(

I'm pretty sure there is no AMD optimized Ogg Vorbis encoder. I hope there is one soon; Spoon, can you try making one?

Comment

Working...

]]>