title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Compressed .aiff

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • illsick156
    • Oct 2004

Compressed .aiff

Hello

After a long time surfing i'm now back on this site.

I have some aiff files that seem to be compressed (in the info window its written something like "little endian" ?). I know that dbpoweramp can't decode those files but i wonder if there is a way to handle them

if you know anything please tell me

so long
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Compressed .aiff

Well are you sure sure these files are AIFC (Aiff-Compressed)? What is the file extension for these files?

dMC does have an AIFF codec which can handle 8 or 16 bit files in a variety of frequencies from 8 khz. to 48khz. and stereo or mono. You might try this out if you haven't already. If you do check it out and it doesn't work right first time out, if you have the Power Pack you could also try to decode the file using the Eden Swap dsp enabled (this is supposed to be useful for handling certain files created on Macintosh platforms).

But if these are AIFC files then the issue becomes foggier since there are a variety of compression modes some developed by Apple, some by QuickTime and others by other developers. Based on my extraoardinarily limited knowledge on this topic, I would either see if you can play these files (in which case you should be able to record them using dMC Auxilary Input) or keep hunting for another program to convert them. Easiest might be to find a friend with a Mac who might be able to convert these files to something you can use but there may be a QuickTime based converter that might handle these files on a Windows platform.

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• illsick156
      • Oct 2004

Hello Bill

Thanks for your answer.
      Actually, because i didn't find a converter that is able to handle the compressed .aif i came back on this forum and posted the question above as something like a last try.

I guess I will now look for a friend with a mac, as you proposed me to do

Thank you and good bye

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

I've done a little more poking around. I am not sure what file extension these files have. AIFC seems to be a sort of generic extension for some compressed AIFF files but I am not sure whether an AIFC decoder would be able to convert whatever particular AIFF Compressed format your files happen to be in.

Anyway, in case you did not run into these in your research, I did find to Windows based audio programs which claim to be able to decode AIFC files. These are:

Audio Converter/CD Ripper (available from: http://www.softdepia.com/rippers_enc...ub_102_10.html)

and River Past Audio Converter (available from: http://www.handyarchive.com/Audio)

There are also at least 2 multimedia Players that claim to be able to read AIFC files (which you could then record using dBpowerAMP Auxilary Input)
        available here: http://www.vsubhash.com/downloads.asp#vcdplayer
        and here: http://webmasterfree.com/software/145.html

I have no experience with any of these programs.

If you can identify a particular file extension for your files, I could maybe find other resources.

Best wishes,
        Bill Mikkelsen
        Last edited by xoas; October 09, 2004, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• illsick156
          • Oct 2004

Hello Again

The river past program encodes them very easy. Thanks a lot for your help.
          The file extension is *.aiff and I was yet able to play them with Quick Time. Somewhere i red that the compression mode of the files is "little endian". Maybe that says something to you. In fact, it seems that my problem doesn't concern many users because I hardly found postes under my term.

Again thanx a lot for your kindly help and good by

yves
          good bye

Comment

• xoas
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2002

Glad it worked out for you.
            Congratulations and best wishes,
            Bill Mikkelsen

Comment