title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Opening MP4a File

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Opening MP4a File

Hi,

Downloaded and installed iOpener which successfully converts the MP4p files to MP4a files. However, dBpowerAMP won't open the resulting MP4a file though I also downloaded the CODEC. Any ideas?

Chuck
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Opening MP4a File

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Hi,

Downloaded and installed iOpener which successfully converts the MP4p files to MP4a files. However, dBpowerAMP won't open the resulting MP4a file though I also downloaded the CODEC. Any ideas?

Chuck
    Well, is it mp4 or m4a? Or which codec did you download and from where?

Comment

• CRF59
      • Sep 2004

Well, if you're into semantics, here you go. I converted the protected iTunes m4p files into m4a files using iOpen. The conversion was successful as the new files will play in iTunes and are not protected.

I then downloaded dBpowerAMP 10 and the Mp4 CODEC from this site. When attempting to open the converted files with dBpowerAMP I receive the error "cannot open the file".

I know of others who have performed successful m4a to mp3 conversions, so I'm at a loss to figure this out.

Chuck

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

When attempting to open the converted files with dBpowerAMP I receive the error "cannot open the file".
        Could you please send us the full text of the error message and could you send an example of the characteristics of the m4a files you are trying to open with dBpowerAMP?
        I assume that you are trying to convert m4a files to mp3. Have you tried converting an m4a file to wav and to convert the resulting wav file (if obtained) to mp3 (this is as much for diagnostic purposes as anything)?
        Also, please check your dMC Configuration to assure that your AAC/mp4 decoder codec shows on your list of installed input codecs. (dMC Configuration can be found going Start>All Programs>dBpowerAMP Music Converter>Configuration>dMC Configuration).

With this information, we might be able to offer better guidance. To forestall a potential misunderstanding let me mention that dBpowerAMP is pretty much entirely the work of Spoon. While we have many users with lots of valuable experience and insights, we don't feature trained, paid staff with access to troubleshooting manuals and so forth. Even those of us "blessed" with the title dBpowerAMP Staff are unpaid untutored forum participants who help out as we can. I mention this only because we sometimes have people posting who don't have an understanding of this and approach the forum the same way people might approach the Tech Support staff of a large commercial software corporation. So please keep in mind, we are only users, just like you, but if we choose to respond it is to do what we can to help people like you, to help out Spoon and to help improve our understanding of the potential of this software as well.

Best wishes,
        Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• CRF59
          • Sep 2004

Thanks very much. I'm short of time now but I will try all you have suggested and then, failing that, I will send the error text, tag info, etc.

Chuck

Comment

• Unregistered

Exact same thing is happening for me. It won't open my MP4a Files that I converted with iOpener. For some reason when I try to convert the file using dbpowerAMP file convertor it tells me it can't open the file. Happens with Wave and MP3. Won't work at all.

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Unregistered
              Exact same thing is happening for me. It won't open my MP4a Files that I converted with iOpener. For some reason when I try to convert the file using dbpowerAMP file convertor it tells me it can't open the file. Happens with Wave and MP3. Won't work at all.
              Are you trying to overwrite the original file?

Apart from the fact that you shouldn't do this (don't know why the option is even available :( ), perhaps the original file is read-only anyway, so it cannot be overwritten.

Comment

• xoas
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2002

I have reason to believe that your m4a files (in both user's cases) may still be subject to digital rights management restrictions (check out this site for a similar situation: http://www.hymn-project.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211).

In any case, it would help if either of you could provide a reaasonably complete text of your error messages, as this might help confirm my suspiscion. If this is correct, you may need to re-convert your m4p files, make sure your m4a files are not placed in iTunes (which seems as though it may have some capability to restore DRM protections) if you can, and then convert the m4a files. I cannot guarantee this will work. It looks to me as though Hymn may be a better choice than iOpener but having tried neither I only offer this as another alternative.

The final suggestion is to take your playable m4a files and record them as they play off of your soundcard using dBpowerAMP Auxilary Input.

If CRF59, unregistered or any other user has had success in dealing with this issue, I'm sure we will be hearing from others who might benefit from your insight and experience.

Best wishes,
                Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

Working...

]]>