title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Uninstallation difficulties

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dvorak
    • Aug 2004

Uninstallation difficulties

I tried uninstalling dMC from the "add/remove programs" control panel, and it seemed to work, but, it's still listed in the "add/remove programs" control panel, and there were lots of registry entries associated with dMC...I tried to find and delete all of them, but dMC is still there in "add/remove...", even after multiple reboots (Windows NT, btw). Can somebody help me? I'd appreciate it :(
  • dvorak
    • Aug 2004

Re: Uninstallation difficulties

I just learned that...

"The standard Windows uninstall feature, the Add/Remove Programs from
    the Control Panel, is a pretty common way to uninstall software. It
    is also known that it does not show all installed software and has
    difficulties with deleting the program entries
    . It is unable to
    remove the software completely
    . In such cases, run utilities like
    Remove."

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Re: Uninstallation difficulties

Originally posted by dvorak
      I just learned that...

"The standard Windows uninstall feature, the Add/Remove Programs from
      the Control Panel, is a pretty common way to uninstall software. It
      is also known that it does not show all installed software and has
      difficulties with deleting the program entries
      . It is unable to
      remove the software completely
      . In such cases, run utilities like
      Remove."
      First of all make sure you are signed in as an administrator of your system. Lesser users may not have the authority to uninstall programs which may have been installed by an administrator.

The Add/Remove usually works fine in Windows 2000 and XP - but there are exceptions with particularly stubborn programs. I haven't used it much in NT and I know that in 98 it could leave a lot to be desired. But I have installed and uninstalled dMC and its components a lot in Windows 2000 and I haven't had any problems.

There are several programs involved in dMC - they include many codecs you have installed. They will all appear in Add/Remove alaphabetically as dBpowerAMP and the respective program.

Remove the codecs first and at the end dBpowerAMP Music Converter.

What may not be removed are the folders where the programs were installed. You can delete those manually. Also any programs or dll's which may be in use at the time.

If you still have problems, you'll have to edit your registry using regedit to remove them. You have to be careful there. If you've never done it, it's touchy and potentially dangerous.

Take a backup of the registry first (Registry>Export Registry File), just in case. If you mess it up, you can reimport it later.

Use Edit and look for anything that has the string dmc appearing - look at what is returned and make an informed decision if that's something that belongs to dMC and if so, delete that entry. These actions cannot be undone. When you've closed the window, it's all saved.

Comment

Working...

]]>