title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Some help - it quit converting RA, RM

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • savagcl
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Aug 2004

Some help - it quit converting RA, RM

A couple days i could convert RA/RM files to WAV (using real alternative).

Tonight, i tried to convert some more RA/RM files and its a nogo.
    Actually, i can't get the RA/RM files to even play in winamp (it did a couple days ago).

Only difference from when it worked is that i pulled the powerpack and cd ripper - they are in testing (before purchase). I like what i've seen so far, tho.
    I checked to insure that ra/rm was in the winamp.ini (it is). Is it better to have the extensions in winamp.ini or tara.ini??

I'm confused, as to why it dont work (will also post this msg in the winamp forum).

thank you,
    savagcl
  • savagcl
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Aug 2004

Re: Some help - it quit converting RA, RM

Never mind. I found it.
    Somehow the RA, RM extensions got dropped from the Nullsoft directshow........ Strange

savagcl

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

But how come Winamp could play Real Media at all? According to the FAQ file there it's not possible yet; http://www.winamp.com/player/faq/#60

Comment

• savagcl
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Aug 2004

ChristinaS,
        It will play ra and rm files with a little work.

Let me make up some instructions and i'll post them in this thread.

savagcl

Comment

• savagcl
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Aug 2004

ChristinaS,

This works on WinXP, dont know about other OS's.
          Make sure you have the latest version of WinAmp.

1. Remove Real Player (and Quicktime if you have it) completely.
          Use a registry cleaner if you have one and complete the removal process.

2. Web page for Real-alternative/Quicktime-alternative and codex/tools.
          "http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm" (without quotes).
          While there, i also got the K-Lite Codec Pack (the full version).

3. For the first download (DL), I installed all of it but you can pick and choose.
          Be sure to install the Media Player Classic tho (i think its better but not as flexable as WMP.

4. I installed all of the K-Lite Codec Pack except the plugin for IE.

5. Download the TARAWIN from this page (and install it, it should go into the WinAmp folder):
          The official resource for XMPlay-related articles and files.

6. Go to the Winamp folder and open the TARA.INI file. Under "[File Types]", you will see the line
          "1=RAM;RMM;RNX;RMX;RV;RMJ;RPM;RT;SMI;SMIL:Real Audio Files".
          If the extensions of RA and RM are present, remove them being carefull of the semi-colons format. Save it.

7. Still in the WinAmp folder, open the WinAmp.ini file, scroll down to the line starting with "config_extlist=".
          If present REMOVE the RA and RM extensions. Being carefull with the colon structure.

8. Almost done.

9. Open WinAmp player. Go to Options>Preferences>Plugins>Nullsoft DirectShow Decoder and
          double-click to open. This will open a configuration window. Enter RA and RM to the end of the extension line shown.
          Click the "OK" and back out.

10. Close WinAmp, a reboot wouldn't hurt but don't know if its necessary.

11. Open WinAmp and try it with a RA or RM file.

Info: You should also be able to play Quicktime, RM and RA(?) files in the Media Player Classic. I haven't tried any RA files yet.

Good Luck and hope it works for you,
          savagcl

Comment

• savagcl
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Aug 2004

Additional note: It seems like not all RA (RM?) files can be played. Possibly
            due to some passwording scheme??
            Looking at the header differences between the two types of files shows
            a lot of differences that i don't understand. There should be some way to mod these few lines or something that will get them to play.

Anyone?
            savagcl

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

Thanks Savagcl .... this is quite massive. I have yet to digest all of it.

I'm not usually keen on trying to fool programs in this manner. Or at least it's because I haven't found the need for it. I'm perfectly happy keeping the various players for proprietory formats intact. For the time being at least. Maybe I'm not adventurous enough :p

I'm sure it will come in handy to somebody. I'm only worried they'll forget they did all these mods and keep wondering why such and such program no longer behaves normally when clashes occur with things that get updated as they do from time to time. But that's just me after all. :D

Comment

• savagcl
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Aug 2004

Yes, it is a lot but it will work and i only use it for the AUXConverter.

Thanks go to whoever made up the real-alternative/quicktime-alternative.

If realplayer would just stick to being a player (and not try to control the world), all this wouldn't be necessary.

I do hope it will help someone.

I just noticed where you are from, so, keep warm.
                savagcl

Comment

• ChristinaS
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by savagcl
                  If realplayer would just stick to being a player (and not try to control the world), all this wouldn't be necessary.

I do hope it will help someone.

I just noticed where you are from, so, keep warm.
                  savagcl
                  LOL! I've actually got Real Player on a leash! I chop its wings before it hatches and don't let it hijack the media types that don't belong to it. I do the same with all other players and they grudgingly oblige ... most of the time We really have quite a love/hate relationship, the media players and I :D

BTW, where I'm from it's really hot right now and the AC is going full blast :smile2:

Comment

• savagcl
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Aug 2004

Working with a guy over at the winamp forum. Apparently he has no
                    problems with ra/rm. Will update when a fix is found.

With me and RP, its just a hate relationship.

Well, i'm in kentucky and we are wearing sweatshirts today (of course, our
                    blood is probably a little thinner than yours.
                    :smile2: :smile2:

savagcl

Comment

• ChristinaS
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2004

Trust me, nobody complains more bitterly over cold weather than me. I never complain about heat .... as long as the AC is working OR I don't have to make any coordinated movement :D

Comment

Working...

]]>