title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Why won't it work?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trav

Why won't it work?

Hi All.

After I have converted my .ram file to a .wav file using dBpowerAMP, I click on it but it does not play!

I can't think what the problem could be as I have installed the latest dBpowerAMP, the RealAudio Decoder, the Real Audio Encoder, Real Alternative 1.11, Common Controls Update and DCOM.

dBpowerAMP appears to be converting the file and when finished, the new .wav icon also appears, however, when I click it, my media player opens but nothing plays.

What is going wrong?

I run W98SE. Are the Common Controls Update and DCOM for W98 Second Edition also?

Thanks for any help.
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Why won't it work?

.ram is the extension for a Real Media meta file. You need to convert the actual .ra or .rm file whose address is contained within. Check out http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=4992

If the actual .rm or .ra file cannot be downloaded or is protected check out http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5362 for tips on using dMC Auxiliary Input to record the audio to your pc.

Comment

• Trav

Thanks Christine.

Yes, I am aware that .ram are pointer to the actual files, but I thought that dbpoweramp could save .ram streams. This is why I downloaded it.

Where at the website is dMC Auxiliary Input? I couldn't find it anywhere.

When I right click my .ram file, there isn't an option to 'Open With'. How do I open it with Notepad?

Thanks.

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Trav
        Thanks Christine.

Yes, I am aware that .ram are pointer to the actual files, but I thought that dbpoweramp could save .ram streams. This is why I downloaded it.

Where at the website is dMC Auxiliary Input? I couldn't find it anywhere.

When I right click my .ram file, there isn't an option to 'Open With'. How do I open it with Notepad?

Thanks.
        To use Notepad, right click on your file name in Windows Explorer, select Open With and then, if Notepad is not in the list, use Other program and select it from the list of programs.

Auxiliary Input is at the bottom of the page for Music Converter, for Optional downloads.

I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding on whether dMC can convert .ram files. I prefer not to take any chances and go directly for the actual audio file(s) pointed to inside the ram file.

Comment

• Unregistered

Hi Christina (oops, sorry I spelt it wrong in my previous post).

As stated in my last post, I do not have an option to 'Open With' when I right-click the file. Anyway, I found another way to do it...open Notepad, click 'Open' and then find the file from within Notepad.

Thanks; I've seen the link now; been looking everywhere except there!

The link in the .ram meta file consists of some weird combination of letters and not http, so I guess that method is out of the question. I wouldn't have thought it would be as easy as that, otherwise message boards wouldn't be full of people looking for a program that can save streams.

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

LOL! you go that one right.

As for why you can't use Open with from WIndows Explorer.... hmmmmm. It must be due to W98SE.

Sorry, I can't explore that since I don't have any such installation any more.

I seem to have a vague recollection of right-click and hold down the shift key... but I may be confusing with some other application.

-----

Aha! here's a fix of sorts: http://forums.techguy.org/archive/in.../t-105468.html - look at the last post - tricky though.
            Last edited by ChristinaS; August 14, 2004, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• Trav

Thanks Chritina (and Deke).

It worked perfectly!

(I used to have 'Open With' in my right-click menu, but it disappeared one day on by itself!)

Regarding dMC Auxiliary Input; it won't mess up my CD drives (or anything else) as someone else has stated here, will it?!

If not, then what do I do with the various volume controls?

Thanks.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Trav
                Regarding dMC Auxiliary Input; it won't mess up my CD drives (or anything else) as someone else has stated here, will it?!

If not, then what do I do with the various volume controls?

Thanks.
                I don't see what aspect of dMC can mess up anything concerning your CD drives. Perhaps some people forget what they have set up and where. Besides, any settings done in dMC concerning CD drives only apply to the dMC family of programs, not to your overall system.

The various Volume controls are something to be aware of at all times and think about whenever you find that some player won't give you sound or it's poor or recording doesn't work. Usually little puzzling moments happen when you go from playing/converting CD's to audio files to using voice chat (or any recording through the mic or external aux line-in or other). You have to always check Volume controls for playback and recording to see the status. Usually you'll find your answer right there.

Comment

• Unregistered

OH COOL!!!

It worked!

It'll be great for short pieces of audio, but will take quite long for long ones.

If I set the volumes too high, then hiss appears. Any other advice on adjusting the various volumes for the best sound would be more than appreciated.

Thanks Christina!

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Unregistered
                    OH COOL!!!

It worked!

It'll be great for short pieces of audio, but will take quite long for long ones.

If I set the volumes too high, then hiss appears. Any other advice on adjusting the various volumes for the best sound would be more than appreciated.

Thanks Christina!
                    I find that keeping the volume slider around 3/4 of the way up seems to work best in just about all circumstances. You should experiment.

Unfortunately your'e right, it will be a long process as it is totaly dependent on the duration of your audio files (plus your own fumbling too :D ).

Comment

• Trav

Thanks C.

Comment

Working...

]]>