title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How long to convert .ra to .mp3?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

How long to convert .ra to .mp3?

From what I read on this forum, I should expect dMC to take some time to convert an .ra file to .mp3. Well, how long is long? Last night, I waited 35+ minutes to convert a 4MB .ra file. When I couldn't wait any longer I tried to cancel it - dMC ignored my request and went on with the conversion. I had to kill the process with Task Manager (btw, I using WinXPPro). So, I ask again, how long is long and why can I not cancel the conversion. I am previewing dMC. If the results go well, I intend to register. Any information or help is appreciated.

Stumped and Frustrated
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: How long to convert .ra to .mp3?

Originally posted by Unregistered
    From what I read on this forum, I should expect dMC to take some time to convert an .ra file to .mp3. Well, how long is long? Last night, I waited 35+ minutes to convert a 4MB .ra file. When I couldn't wait any longer I tried to cancel it - dMC ignored my request and went on with the conversion. I had to kill the process with Task Manager (btw, I using WinXPPro). So, I ask again, how long is long and why can I not cancel the conversion. I am previewing dMC. If the results go well, I intend to register. Any information or help is appreciated.

Stumped and Frustrated
    If the file CAN be converted the time it takes is the time it takes to play it plus a few seconds for the actual conversion. Your 4 MB file is probably a 4-minute audio file so conversion should take just over 4 minutes.

If it doesn't work, there are other problems there. The .ra file may be protected (or corrupted) for one thing.

Or you maye have installed the dMC components in different folders rather than all in one folder.

You must also have Real Player or Real One installed, in addition to having all the requierd codecs (for decoding and for encoding).

Comment

• Unregistered

Christina,

Thank you for your post. I gather a protected .ra file cannot be converted. It's not corruption since I can play it perfectly. The reason for conversion is so it can go portable. I have few good songs in .ra format that I have collected over the years, but I cannot port them to my MP3 player. I did preview another software that required you play and record simultaneously. I didn't like it and was searching for something that would take a file as input and convert it to mp3 in one easy step. If the former is my only choice, than I will go that route. If you can think of a workaround, I would appreciate it.

No longer Stumped, but still Frustrated

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Unregistered
        Christina,

Thank you for your post. I gather a protected .ra file cannot be converted. It's not corruption since I can play it perfectly. The reason for conversion is so it can go portable. I have few good songs in .ra format that I have collected over the years, but I cannot port them to my MP3 player. I did preview another software that required you play and record simultaneously. I didn't like it and was searching for something that would take a file as input and convert it to mp3 in one easy step. If the former is my only choice, than I will go that route. If you can think of a workaround, I would appreciate it.

No longer Stumped, but still Frustrated
        Well, if it is protected, then you can use dMC Auxiliary Input to capture the audio to another type of audio file (wav or mp3 or whatever you wish).

If you don't have that yet, download it from the Music Converter link at the top of of this forum (look at the bottom of that screen).

For more instructions on using that you may refer to the FAQ at http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5362 .

Comment

Working...

]]>