title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

WMA8, not WMA9?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FM77

WMA8, not WMA9?

I need to convert some mp3 files to WMA8.

I installed dbpowerAMP and the WMA8 codec file. But when I convert a file, it is coming out as WMA9 anyway.

Is there any way to get it to really do WMA8? I need this to be able to play on a device that doesn't support WMA9.
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: WMA8, not WMA9?

Originally posted by FM77
    I need to convert some mp3 files to WMA8.

I installed dbpowerAMP and the WMA8 codec file. But when I convert a file, it is coming out as WMA9 anyway.

Is there any way to get it to really do WMA8? I need this to be able to play on a device that doesn't support WMA9.
    Maybe if you uninstall WMP v9 and find and install WMP v8 (I don't know where as it is not available at the WMP site), and install the wma8 codec.....

There is a German site that appears to have it or maybe just the codec .... http://download-tipp.de/shareware_un...are/3329.shtml You might want to check this out.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

No, Microsoft in their wisdom make it so if you install the WMA 9 system codecs you cannot go down (I guess so if the encryption is cracked on wma 8 you cannot downgrade to exploit it, sad I know).
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• FM77

That's... really stupid.

Guess I'll have to try running this on my windows 98 system. I don't *think* it has WMA9 installed...

Comment

Working...

]]>