title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

DSP Error while converting from real audio to mp3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beaky

DSP Error while converting from real audio to mp3

Hi when I try to convert a large (90 minutes or longer) real audio file to mp3, I get a DSP error msg at the end of the conversion and the opeation fails, apparently due to lack of disc space.

I have plenty of space in the target location for the newly created mp3 file so the problem appears to relate to the temp directory. Is it possible to change the location of the temp file, as I currently have plenty of spare space on my D drive, but only very limited space on the C drive.

If so can anyone advise how to do this.

Thank you
    Beaky
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: DSP Error while converting from real audio to mp3

Originally posted by Beaky
    Hi when I try to convert a large (90 minutes or longer) real audio file to mp3, I get a DSP error msg at the end of the conversion and the opeation fails, apparently due to lack of disc space.

I have plenty of space in the target location for the newly created mp3 file so the problem appears to relate to the temp directory. Is it possible to change the location of the temp file, as I currently have plenty of spare space on my D drive, but only very limited space on the C drive.

If so can anyone advise how to do this.

Thank you
    Beaky
    90 minutes will probably require about 1GB of spare space for storing the wav file which is probably being created in an intermediate conversion step in order to convert again to mp3.

I haven't tried this myself but in Windows 2000 you can modify the Virtual Memory paging size for either Applications or Background Services, for each drive separately (probably only one of them is set, on C):
    Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Options > Applications OR Background Services > Change > select drive > Set
    On my system, this virtual paging size is set to 768-1536 MB. I'd think perhaps I could handle a 1GB, but I've never tried. I don't actually know if this is what needs to be specified for your situation either, anyway.

Also you can modify (with great caution) various Environment Variables at either the user's level or the system's level. You have there the location of TEMP and TMP and it appears set by default to c:/winnt/temp and c:/winnt.tmp respectively. You may be able to modify this. However I don't know how you'd point those to your D: drive since they appear to always refer to the drive where the OS is installed. It may be tricky. If you decide to do this, you should back up your registry first. I'd rather not tinker with the Environment Variables.

But before you do anything, how did it happen that you got such a huge real Audio file? Is it really one single file .ra or .rm file or is it actually a .ram (meta) file with possibly several .ra or .rm files pointed to from inside?

Comment

Working...

]]>