title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Question about song list

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alizard
    • Jun 2004

Question about song list

If I am creating an MP3 CD, I would drag the song selections into the field and they would be listed alphabetically.

QUESTION 1: once the list is there, does it allow me to drag and drop or step up and down specific songs so I can adjust the play order to what I want?

QUESTION 2: how do I get it to display the song title on the MP3 player's display?
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Question about song list

I assume you are asking about dBpowerAMP CD Writer (dCW). If so, the answers to your questions are as follows:

Question 1-dCW does not allow you to arbitrarily adjust the order of tracks within a single folder on your mp3 CD that you make the way you can with a regular CD. dCW does allow you to organize tracks into folders but it does so based on tag information certain pre-defined areas (such as artist and album). It will also allow you to organize your tracks according to pre-defined criteria based on tag information. You have a fairly wide range of possible organizational structures (about which see below). You are not allowed variance within whatever organizational structure you define (dCW's default setting for mp3 discs is to order tracks by artist and then by track name but you could throw in track number as a criterion-see below). Your tag information needs to be very accurate for this to work. Compared to at least some other burning programs dCW at present is quite limited in creating custom folders and it does not allow you to drag and drop files into folders as you wish.

Question 2-This depends in part on your mp3 player's display abilities. For example, I have a Panasonic Portable CD/mp3 player that only displays folder, file or track numbers. My car's CD/mp3 player will display only a limited number of characters so it will truncate song titles if they are too long. Or I can take an mp3 disc to a different computer and get all the information I want from the tag info. But to get to your question about display on discs generated by dCW. The default setting for mp3 discs for ordering of tracks is: [artist]-[track]. In this configuration, your resulting mp3 disc will feature a single folder and you should see on your player's display first the artist and then the track name-if your player can handle that much text in the display (my car's mp3 player generally cannot). If you want to display track name only you have to create a new format for your mp3 disc. To do this, Open dCW and click on the button that reads "New" right by the label that reads Writing Audio. On the next window (which will read "Creating Audio CDs") click on the button that says "Create New CD". Then you will come to a window reading "Creating New CD". Click on the button that says MP3/WMA CD. Be sure to specify your disc size (you cannot change it afterward without staring over). Specify the file format you want to write to (in your case mp3) and your desired bitrate. Then go to the section that says "File Naming" (which will also display your default setting [artist]-[track]). Click on the button that says "Set". Here you are given a variety of alternatives. Given your question I will suppose that you would like your mp3 tracks to be arranged by artist and by album but that all you want your display to show is the track name (or song title). If that is what you want then where it reads "File Creation" you would type [artist]\[album]\[track] (or [artist]-[album]\[track] might also do). Then click on OK. On the nexr window click on the Create New CD button, and in the next window click on the button that says "OK". This format will organize your tracks first into a set of folders by the artist and it will create separate folders within each folder for each album by that artist and then the track name (or song title) will be organized in the album folders.
    The bottom line result is that your mp3 player display will then display only the track name which should be equivalent to the song title.
    This same procedure can be used to define the ordering of tracks on the mp3 cd.

Because dCW does these things automatically, based on tag information, I found that it can lead to some very undesirable results. I would recommend that after you have your mp3 disc ready to burn that you go to your temporary folder for that disc to look at the file structure that dCW is getting ready to burn to make sure that this is the result you are looking for. As an alternative, first burn to a CD-RW before you commit to burning to CD-R.

Sorry to be so long-winded. Hope this makes sense. Feel free to ask for clarification of any of the above but don't be afraid to experiment either.
    Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

Working...

]]>