title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How do I convert .wma files to mp3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ninamark27
    • Jun 2004

How do I convert .wma files to mp3

I downloaded a lot of music from Wal-Mart.com and it's in .wma format. The problem is that it won't play on anything other than my laptop. I downloaded this music converter and it says that the files are encripted and it can't convert. How do I get these files to play on something other than my laptop?

Please help.

Nina
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: How do I convert .wma files to mp3

Originally posted by ninamark27
    I downloaded a lot of music from Wal-Mart.com and it's in .wma format. The problem is that it won't play on anything other than my laptop. I downloaded this music converter and it says that the files are encripted and it can't convert. How do I get these files to play on something other than my laptop?

Please help.

Nina
    You mean they only play in Windows Media Player? Then they can be played on any pc that has WMP, not just your laptop. You probably mean you'd like these files to be played in an mp3 player or some such machine.

If the files are protected, I think I saw something here in the forum saying that you can't use this or any converter. What you can use though is dMC Auxiliary Input (you can download it from the link for Music Converter as well).

You open dMC Auxiliary Input, set up all the parameters to record to (what kind of file you want to make - best to use wav, etc), start playing the original file in WMP, stop playing it but don't close WMP, go back to dMC Auxiliary Input, start recording, immediately start playing your file in WMP. When it's finished, stop the recording and a couple of seconds after that it would have finished the capture. Since this is real time capture, it will take as long as your song.

Once you have the wav file saved, you can convert it to any other format you like, just don't delete it

Comment

• Wayne
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Aug 2002

One of the problems with DRM enabled WMA files is that they can be restricted so that they will only play on a particular machine. You'll need to check out what restrictions Wal-Mat.com places on any music files you buy.

You might be able to play them on other machines by migrating any associated licenses on to the new machine as well.

It might be a good idea for you to back up any licenses just in case you have to reinstall windows or replace a damaged hard drive.

Wayne

Comment

• missarrow
        • Jan 2005

Is there any way you could link me to this auxiliary input download?

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by missarrow
          Is there any way you could link me to this auxiliary input download?
          It's already part of your dBpowerAMP Music Converter download. Just find the program in Start > Programs > DbpowerAMP group. It's called dMC Auxiliary Input.

Comment

• missarrow
            • Jan 2005

Now when I try to use the aux to record the .wma in real time, aux gives me an error saying that the converter isn't installed, even though it is. Suggestions?

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by missarrow
              Now when I try to use the aux to record the .wma in real time, aux gives me an error saying that the converter isn't installed, even though it is. Suggestions?
              Somethig you didn't install or you didn't install properly.

What are you recording to? do you have that codec?

Comment

Working...

]]>