title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

converting FLAC -> MPC: lost of Replaygain info

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • be020261
    • May 2004

converting FLAC -> MPC: lost of Replaygain info

Hi everybody,

got dmc r10 installed and it seems that converting FLAC to MPC doesn't copy the replaygain info contained in the tags... HOW COME?! :confused:

how DMC copy tags?? is it searching for specific tags like 'artist','album' etc. or by a more generic patern?

I'm ripping all my CDs to FLAC and then, i'll burn it as backups on DVD±R. Then, i'll use DMC to 'transcode' my FLAC to MPC @q6.

I didn't try R11 but according to the changelog, this bug as not been fixed...

PS1: replaygain is like normalizing but it is more efficient since it doesn't need to modify the song, it only add a value in the tags -> http://www.replaygain.org (HA server seems down right now... :sad: )

PS2: FLAC uses OGG tags and MPC use APEv2.

be020261
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: converting FLAC -> MPC: lost of Replaygain info

I'm not absolutely sure about this but I am pretty certain that the replay gain function is actually a tag add-on of and for dAP (the dB Audio Player) and it is part of the dAP program. I noted that a tag with replay gain featured on MMC did show replay gain but when I opened the same file in Windows the tag did not display replay gain and the track opened in Windows Media Player did not display replay gain on the tag information and the gain wasn't there.
    So my guess is that Music Converter does not recognize replay gain when converting files. This might be an area where dAP and dMC can be more fully integrated in the future.
    Should I be in error, please feel free to correct me.
    Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Sorry my stuff does not use ReplayGain just yet.

The replay gain is shown in the FLAC tag? (or is it held internally in FLAC somewhere).
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

It may be a matter of faulty terminology on my part. I assumed that the replay gain was essentially the same as the Volume Boost function in dAP (in any case it certainly sounds like replay gain to me). In that specific case, dAP provides the volume boost function and this will show as tag information within MMC but not outside of dAP.
        If there are other mechanisms for adding replay gain, my response certainly did not apply to those.
        Sorry if I caused any confusion.
        Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• be020261
          • May 2004

Hi,

Got my answer from foobar forums... And it makes sense.

The RG info cannot be copied simply because the values will change from one codec to another one (except from lossless to lossless).

This is due to internal clipping of lossy codec.

It's not that the RG track/album gain will varie much (± 0.01 dB), BUT, it's the RG track/album peaks that will differ significantly.

I'll have to recalculate everything from scratch or use replaygain / DSP when transcoding to 'hardcode' the RG / DSP directly into the bitstream. (does DMC support RG / DSP when transcoding, like fb2k?)

@Spoon: Did not find any explicit RG tags in the header... must be somewhere in binary format (I think it's a 8 bytes values...)

Regards,

be020261
          Last edited by be020261; June 24, 2004, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>