title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Sometimes dbPowerAmp won't keep tag changes

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kookoobirdz
    • May 2004

Sometimes dbPowerAmp won't keep tag changes

I have dbPowerAmp with registered PowerPack. Sometimes I'll try to edit the tags on an mp3, and I'll make my change and I'll hit OK and the window closes, but then when I look at the file again, the changes haven't taken effect, or rather, only some of them have. Like sometimes I'll try to erase whatever's in the comment field like riPpEd bY GeOrge! or something equally stupid, and it won't go away. Other times I'll try to delete the whole field, not just make it blank, and it disappears while I have the dbPowerAmp window open, but when I hit OK and then go look at the file, it's back. Another pesky field is "User defined text information", which I've just encountered with some converted iTunes tracks. Can't get rid of it. What gives?

(Actually, another problem I had a while back was that when I would try to edit tags, maybe when the computer was really busy, I'd end up with files that had been stripped of all tags, and now the file was a .mp3XXX. Whaaa?! But I'm more concerned about the above problem)
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Sometimes dbPowerAmp won't keep tag changes

Using dBpowerAMP Audio Player?

Try the new dBpowerAMP Music Converter R11 (in Beta), it has better tagging.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• kookoobirdz
      • May 2004

If I understand your question correctly, no. I'm not using dBpowerAMP Audio Player. I'm using dBpowerAMP Music Converter, file version 4.2.1.0 ©2003. (as for players, I use iTunes/iPod as well as Win Media Player). I just have my mp3s in Windows Explorer, and I go to a given file, I right-click, I choose Edit Tag, I make my edits, and I hit OK. Then I go hover over the file afterwards, but the changes haven't been made. I try re-editing but it doesn't work. Usually it works fine, it's just sometimes, and more lately now with stuff from iTunes. Since it usually works fine, I was wondering if I was doing something wrong, or if it doesn't do well when lots of things are running on the computer or something.

I'm wary of upgrading because of other posts I saw around here that mention that as of v10, DB now uses UTF-8 for tagging, which sounds like it's a problem for some things. I don't know what all that means, but it sounds bad. I saw that there was a workaround for mp3, but what about other extensions? Is this addressed in r11?

Love this app by the way. Love how easy the codecs install, too, as that gets into territory I don't really understand. I'm able to just click and it works. I recommend it to all my digital-audio-savvy friends.

Comment

• Wayne
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Aug 2002

Is it a problem with the file being locked out to some other process? For example, are you playing the mp3 files whilst you are attempting to update their tag information?

Wayne

Comment

• kookoobirdz
          • May 2004

Nope. They're just sitting there, not being accessed. Tried it again this morning with nothing else running and the same thing happens. Admittedly, I think my computer is haunted, and is in need of defragging, which I can't do because I don't have enough spare space. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

dMC R11 defaults to non UTF 8 encoding. The popup info in Windows can sometimes be out of date, to update it hold over another file then move back over the file you are interested in.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>