title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

why converting takes me so long?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • g73
    • May 2004

why converting takes me so long?

Hi,
    It is taking my computer 45-60 minutes to convert audio files from a CD to the hard disk, (even at 128 kbps, and even when the files on the CD are already mp3).
    Should it take that long?
    If not what souled I do in order to change it so it will convert faster and still be in good quality?
    Thank's for the help,
    g73.
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: why converting takes me so long?

What do you mean the files on the CD are already mp3? Why don't you just copy them to your hard disk using Windows Explorer instead of converting them?

Comment

• g73
      • May 2004

Originally posted by ChristinaS
      What do you mean the files on the CD are already mp3? Why don't you just copy them to your hard disk using Windows Explorer instead of converting them?
      hey, thanks for the fast reply.
      when I try to copy through Exp' (opening the CD) the files are coming out 1kb each, as if I can't open them. maybe I'm not doing it well?
      and what about from wave to mp3, souled it take 45 minutes?
      thanks again,
      g73

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by g73
        hey, thanks for the fast reply.
        when I try to copy through Exp' (opening the CD) the files are coming out 1kb each, as if I can't open them. maybe I'm not doing it well?
        and what about from wave to mp3, souled it take 45 minutes?
        thanks again,
        g73
        Ok, if your cd cannot be accessed as a normal folder then I doubt it contains mp3 files, most likely those are cda tracks - i.e. a normal music cd.

Then you have to rip the cd first to wav using any one of a number of such utilities (dbpoweramp is good for that). Save each track as a separate wav file and then convert them to whatever format you wish.

I think that 45 minutes is too long for a typical CD. If it has, say, 15 tracks of about 3-4 minutes in duration each, it normallly takes maybe 30 seconds to convert each one to mp3, so you should be done in 7-10 minutes. The inital ripping of the CD tracks to wav may take the longest time though. I don't know as I haven't had to do this in a long time. Still I don't think it is that long - maybe 5 minutes in all?

And then it also depends on how much ram you computer has and how fast your processor is. I have a 1.5GHz processor and 513MB ram, not spectacular by today's standards, but defintely better than 128MB and 333-500MHz as lots of people still have (my latop for instance). Good for surfing, not too fast for processing large files, which is what wav files are.

Comment

• g73
          • May 2004

Originally posted by ChristinaS
          Ok, if your cd cannot be accessed as a normal folder then I doubt it contains mp3 files, most likely those are cda tracks - i.e. a normal music cd.

Then you have to rip the cd first to wav using any one of a number of such utilities (dbpoweramp is good for that). Save each track as a separate wav file and then convert them to whatever format you wish.

I think that 45 minutes is too long for a typical CD. If it has, say, 15 tracks of about 3-4 minutes in duration each, it normallly takes maybe 30 seconds to convert each one to mp3, so you should be done in 7-10 minutes. The inital ripping of the CD tracks to wav may take the longest time though. I don't know as I haven't had to do this in a long time. Still I don't think it is that long - maybe 5 minutes in all?

And then it also depends on how much ram you computer has and how fast your processor is. I have a 1.5GHz processor and 513MB ram, not spectacular by today's standards, but defintely better than 128MB and 333-500MHz as lots of people still have (my latop for instance). Good for surfing, not too fast for processing large files, which is what wav files are.
          So you're saying first to wave from cda and then to mp3?! thanks I'll try that.
          Last edited by g73; May 25, 2004, 08:26 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Try in Audio CD Input >> Rip To (menu next to Rip) and select Test Conversion.

It should show a ripping speed faster than 5x (if there are no problems).
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>