title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

The RIPPER

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MARK S

The RIPPER

Hi again all,

Thanks to all your help, Ive decided to use .ape files. Question: If Im ripping CDs into Monkey's audio files, should there be any difference in quality at all between the dbpoweramp audi cd input, and the EAC program? I've been using dbpoweramp for a long time, and I just took a look at EAC ....... dbpoweramp seems much friendlier and easier to use for me. People on the internet seem to make such a fuss about EAC being the 'most accurate', including on the monkeys audio page itself, and I just wanted anyones take on this, as far as APE files go. I'd much prefer to use dbpoweramp if the quality will be the same. I don't care if EAC gives a more detailed 'error report' or whatever, I'm just thinking about the quality of the rip. I want as close as I can get to 'lossless' in every part of the process here.

thank you!!
    mark
  • drspy00
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Apr 2004

Re: The RIPPER

I'm asking the same question!

Comment

• MARK S

Hi all,

I really am curious about this question - if I can get the same, or virtually the same, quality ripping from dbpoweramp as I would from EAC. Ive been playing with EAC for an hour or so and I can't really make head or tails of the damn thing, its a complicated mess (for non-technical me). dbpoweramp is so easy to use .... I just dont want to sacrifice any quality, you know? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I know I ask this question in a pretty biased place (: but whatever. I guess I just want to hear, from someone who really knows, 'ya, dont bother with EAC, using dmc audio cd input to rip your files (to monkey audio or flac) is great, same quality.' Or not. Im ready for the truth.

Thank you,
      Mark

Comment

• MARK S

by the way,

I know often the best answer to a question like this is "just listen and see what you think, you dunderhead". The thing is, right now I have a bad soundcard, but at some point Ill get a better one..... so probably wont hear a quality difference now (if there is one) , but in the future I might.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

If 100% quality is what you want, visit www.accuraterip.com you can install a plug-in for dMC that can show rips are 100% correct.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• OldCoder
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Sep 2003

Spoon maybe too modest to say this but....

The real test of EAC versus dMC with Accuraterip is to use both!

If you rip the same songs using the same disc, with each software product to different folders, you will end up with two copies of the song.

Now use a file compare utility to do a bit by bit compare of the two songs.

When I did this, I found that dMC ripping to ape format was IDENTICAL to EAC if I supplied the same tag information. And when I failed to do that, only the bytes containing the tag were different.

So, on my system, it makes *no* difference which I use - so I use dMC.

Perhaps on your system, there will be a difference - but I doubt it.

To compare files look at the Window COMP command syntax help, and use the syntax for "binary" compare, and redirect the output to a text file.

You'll have proof created on your system - it doesn't get better than that!

Comment

• MARK S

thank you for all of your good suggestions, ill try all of them. bottom line is, i find dmcpoweramp by FAR the friendliest, most intuitive program to use ... so ill experiment. thanks. - mark in japan

Comment

Working...

]]>