title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Increase Volume from ~ 10k Flac Files ranging from -12.68 db to +22.12 db

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • astuartmills
    • Jun 2023

Increase Volume from ~ 10k Flac Files ranging from -12.68 db to +22.12 db

I ripped around 700 CDs to Flac files using DBPoweramp and then analyzed the volume in MediaMonkey for the 10k Flac files and the result was a range of -12.68 db to +22.12 db. The files with the positive 22.12 db have an extremely low volume output. Is there a tool in dbpoweramp that will adjust the volume of the flac files? My receiver does not support Replaygain so I need to somehow edit the actual Flac files with high values e.g. +22.12 to increase the volume. Is there any way to do this with dbpoweramp? Thanks
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Increase Volume from ~ 10k Flac Files ranging from -12.68 db to +22.12 db

You would have to convert all the FLAC files, to a new set of flac files (store them in another location, do not overwrite the originals) and include the DSP effect 'Volume Normalize', no need to change any settings on that.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• astuartmills
      • Jun 2023

Thank you Spoon. I was looking into a lot of this based on your response. I am planning to do a short list of files (keeping the old Flac files) but I was hoping you could provide with some guidance on what to select. I realize it is different for everyone but if you wanted to increase the volume of some files and potentially reduce the volume of others, can you tell me what you would select with the attached screenshot? replaygain, fixed amplification etc.? and once selected, what is the amplification (assuming fixed amplification was your choice) or desired volume (for other selections? Thanks again for the help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Volume Normalize.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	294705

Comment

• astuartmills
        • Jun 2023

Hi Simbun
        I agree this would be what I would prefer but the MediaMonkey volume leveling only works for MP3 files and so far, I haven't been able to get Media Monkey to recognize the Replaingain Tags based on setting the Main MediaMonkey MediaSharing Target Volume Settings for the Flac files so I am trying to do something that will work for now.

Comment

• astuartmills
          • Jun 2023

Hi Thank you for the update. I have MediaMonkey Gold but the functionality for Volume Leveling will give you an error if you try to use it on a Flac File. It says it only works on MP3 files. Supposedly, MediaMonkey will do volume leveling automatically if you enable Volume Leveling in Media Sharing. I can't seem to get that to work unfortunately. I still have support tickets to MediaMonkey but no luck so far.

Comment

• astuartmills
            • Jun 2023

Hi Spoon. I tried various options and they increased the sound but I am hearing some scratching sounds after (within MediaMonkey to my receiver). I don't see an option to avoid clipping.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

You cannot use fixed amplification as that will cause clipping and scratching sounds. You have to use the default option 'EBR'
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• astuartmills
                • Jun 2023

Thank you Spoon. What do you set the "Desired Volume" and "Maximum Amplification x" to? The settings default to 0dB and x 8 respectively. Would you change this? Should I do this one by one or can I do this on all the files at the same time? Since I have ~10k files, I am hoping for the latter.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

You do not change those, the program calculates the volume of the tracks and adjusts automatically.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• astuartmills
                    • Jun 2023

Thank you Spoon. I was using MediaMonkey which had the layout and functionality I needed but it is having issues with the Replaygain for FLAC files and before I change all my files, I thought I would install Foobar2000 and install a skin similar to the look I had with MediaMonkey - that has been a slow process. I believe Foobar2000 handles the Replaygain tags since I played the same song from MediaMonkey and Foobar2000 and it was quite a bit louder in Foobar2000. I could be headed down another rabbit hole but hopefully not. If I have to shift back, then I will have to edit all 10k files and will use your recommendations. Thanks again.

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by astuartmills
                      Thank you Spoon. I was using MediaMonkey which had the layout and functionality I needed but it is having issues with the Replaygain for FLAC files and before I change all my files, I thought I would install Foobar2000 and install a skin similar to the look I had with MediaMonkey - that has been a slow process. I believe Foobar2000 handles the Replaygain tags since I played the same song from MediaMonkey and Foobar2000 and it was quite a bit louder in Foobar2000. I could be headed down another rabbit hole but hopefully not. If I have to shift back, then I will have to edit all 10k files and will use your recommendations. Thanks again.
                      yes, foobar2000 uses ReplayGain tag values in playing, assuming you have turned that option on in playback settings.

Comment

Working...

]]>