title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Requesting metadata support for DSD1024 files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferrarabrainpan
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jul 2018

Requesting metadata support for DSD1024 files

I think the limit for file conversion with your software is DSD512. I am not concerned that I cannot convert a file up to 1024 or downsample from 1024 to 512, but it does bother me that I cannot tag a .dsf file that is DSD1024. I enter the tags but they are not retained.

I only have a couple albums in that crazy high sampling rate which I purchased from nativedsd.com mostly just to test the performance of my new Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, since it supports up to DSD1024 and PCM 1.536 mHz. It's not a resolution that I will be buying, playing or tagging very often. I just want to request that the support for DSD metadata tagging for dBpoweramp be increased from DSD512 to DSD1024. If it is a paid upgrade I will pay for it. So happy that you added .dsf file support in the last paid update so I no longer have to use Tag&Rename to manage the tags for my growing .dsf library.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Requesting metadata support for DSD1024 files

Will add to our wish list
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ferrarabrainpan
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jul 2018

Re: Requesting metadata support for DSD1024 files

Looks like it got added to the latest update, since those DSD1024 files that I could not edit metadata for previously are now allowed to edit with dBpoweramp. Many thanks for that feature enhancement!

Comment

• Marco 007Yo
        • May 2024

Modern players and DACs support audio resolution up to DSD 2048. Therefore, you need to add this to the poweramp.

Comment

• Marco 007Yo
          • May 2024

And pcm 1536khz 64bit

Comment

• GBrown
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Marco 007Yo
            Modern players and DACs support audio resolution up to DSD 2048. Therefore, you need to add this to the poweramp.
            What source are you accessing to use dbPA to convert to such a high resolution at this point? Certainly there in no benefit to upconverting from a lower resolution digital source.

Comment

• Marco 007Yo
              • May 2024

Originally posted by GBrown

What source are you accessing to use dbPA to convert to such a high resolution at this point? Certainly there in no benefit to upconverting from a lower resolution digital source.
              I'm not sure if it's possible to discuss other software specifically with brand names here. Maybe it will be perceived as an advertisement. Google the name of the professional has one player with the ability to convert any source audio to DSD 2048 and pcm 1536. As well as a homemade converter of Japanese enthusiasts. As well as 5 more paid converters with the ability to convert to DSD 2048. And there are many different DACs with this capability.
              Last edited by Marco 007Yo; May 30, 2024, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• Marco 007Yo
                • May 2024

And I think there is a benefit to converting to DSD. There is an improvement in sound due to oversampling and modulation changes to delta sigma, as well as a very huge noise shaping. In the area of 45-90MHz.

Comment

• GBrown
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Oct 2009

I'm not sure if it's possible to discuss other software specifically with brand names here. Maybe it will be perceived as an advertisement. Google the name of the professional has one player with the ability to convert any source audio to DSD 2048 and pcm 1536. As well as a homemade converter of Japanese enthusiasts. As well as 5 more paid converters with the ability to convert to DSD 2048. And there are many different DACs with this capability.
                  I am not questioning the ability of any software to make the conversion. What I did ask was what benefit you perceived you would gain from doing so? Unless you are directly accessing the original analog source or a digital representation already sampled at these high rates, there is not benefit to resampling or up-converting to a higher rate.

Comment

• Marco 007Yo
                    • May 2024

I am not questioning the ability of any software to make the conversion. What I did ask was what benefit you perceived you would gain from doing so? Unless you are directly accessing the original analog source or a digital representation already sampled at these high rates, there is not benefit to resampling or up-converting to a higher rate.
                    I have already written above about the advantages of oversampling and conversion. Specifically in DSD, this is necessary for: 1) A more accurate representation of the original signal 2) The removal of quantization noise into super high frequencies. Many who have used pcm to dsd conversion are very happy with the result, it really improves the sound. It doesn't matter what kind of conversion was done. You can use files, or you can use a DAC during playback.

Comment

• Marco 007Yo
                      • May 2024

Another important detail. There is no audio information inside the DSD above the audible part. This is necessary in order to convey the original sound to the listener very accurately and correctly with the help of oversampling and noise shaping.

Comment

• Marco 007Yo
                        • May 2024

Personally, I and many other people feel the difference in sound improvement when using oversampling in DSD and PCM. No wonder other developers include the ability to resolve pcm 1536/64bit DSD 1024/2048 in their players, converters and DACs. Moreover, this is not a problem in 2024. Because the computing power of computers and memory is quite huge.

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

We add DSD2048 support in next version, however each 3 minute track is 4GB in size. A typical music collection in that format would be bigger than even 20TB
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Marco 007Yo
                            • May 2024

Thanks for this improvement. File size is not an issue for me and many other users who like such permissions.

Comment

• vilsen
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Jul 2018

No wonder other developers include the ability to resolve pcm 1536/64bit DSD 1024/2048 in their players, converters and DACs.
                              The main reason for that would be marketing.
                              Be honest to yourself and ABX the originals against the upsampled files. Our brains play tricks with us.

Comment

Working...

]]>