title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Post Processing FLAC audio

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Val076
    • Aug 2023

Post Processing FLAC audio

I up-converted my music to 32 bit and added ReplayGain.

Are there any other beneficial DSP, I need to process to get the best out of my library if it sounds crisp?

I previously used too many, and apparently NUKED my library ROFLMAO, literally it left the file with a 0 second Husk lol.

Thanks everyone!
    Val
  • GBrown
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Oct 2009

Re: Post Processing FLAC audio

Originally posted by Val076
    I up-converted my music to 32 bit and added ReplayGain.
    Up-converted from what format? Most hardware devices and players are already capable of this unless the format is unsupported. But a conversion can rarely improve if the source is not lossless.

Comment

• Val076
      • Aug 2023

Okay; let's fast-forward a bit since I am new at using DBP. I know there are a lot of DSP effects, can you kindly tell me what are the best or recommended settings to say fine-tune 24bit FLAC or should I make them 32bit first. Just looking for the BEST listening experience, that's all.

Sorry not being snippy or anything.
      Val

Comment

• Dat Ei
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Feb 2014

DSPs do not improve the sound quality. So there is no need to use any of them if you want to improve the sound quality.

Dat Ei

Comment

• Val076
          • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Dat Ei
          DSPs do not improve the sound quality. So there is no need to use any of them if you want to improve the sound quality.

Dat Ei
          Interesting! TYVM, then the only thing I need to know for sound quality is there any difference between 24bit and 32bit FLAC; if not then great

Comment

• GBrown
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Val076
            Interesting! TYVM, then the only thing I need to know for sound quality is there any difference between 24bit and 32bit FLAC; if not then great
            There is a difference. However the bit depth is most important from the original source. There is nothing you can do after the fact to make it sound better.

If your source files are 16-bit/44.1kHz audio files (i.e. CD rips in lossless quality) then you should end up with 16-bit FLAC files.

Typical "Hi Res" download sites tend to offer 24-bit/96kHz or 24-bit/192kHz music that have either been remastered or upsampled "professionally" to optimize them. Some standard DVD rips are 24-bit/48kHz if you separate the audio from the video. So these will be 24-bit. Ripping at this depth would need to come from sources like SACD or DVD-Audio if you have the materials.

Only recently has a 32-bit FLAC format been released. I expect these will be only optimized for the studios that are mastering for the "Ultra Hi Res" format at 32-bit/384kHZ or higher. These would be the only files you would have at 32-bit, and nothing you can currently rip yourself.

Bottom line - Simply converting any lower bit depth to a higher rate will not improve any sound quality. It will only increase the file size unnecessarily.

Comment

• Dat Ei
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Feb 2014

Increasing the bit depth or the sample rate of an already digitized signal (like music on an Audio CD) increases the space needed to store the signal, but it does not increase the information. To increase the quality of a digitized signal you have to increase the bit depth and/or sample rate during the conversion of the analogue to a digital signal.

Dat Ei

Comment

Working...

]]>