title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Continuing LAME codec could not be opened..

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deadmanschest

Continuing LAME codec could not be opened..

Hi Spoon - thanks for a great program, however I have now had a sudden LAME error, and I see numerous threads along the same line.

I can no longer compress ANY sound file using the built-in LAME codec in dmc to bit rates greater than 192kbs. That was my default rate for compressing audio tracks. It no longer works from CD input, nor thru the context menu converter to....

It will not compress with LAME using a preset or a set value at anything greater than 160kbs.

All others, OGG, Wav work fine, both ways, and from CD. I have reinstalled, etc etc no joy.

I just dl'ed the BLADE codec and it works fine, both ways, using now at 224kbs on some cda tracks.

THe LAME always worked for me at 192 plus, but today it stopped...dead.

I have no idea.....but going with BLADE for now.

Thanks

deadmanschest.
  • deadmanschest
    • Feb 2004

Aux Input utility screws 'opening LAME codec'

Originally posted by deadmanschest
    I can no longer compress ANY sound file using the built-in LAME codec in dmc to bit rates greater than 192kbs.
    deadmanschest.
    Update - I should have said ">than 160" anyway. I used the Aux Input utility to record a short phone call with the LAME (default) mp3 codec a day or two before this problem. That seems to have screwed up the use of the LAME codec generally. DMC was working great using LAME at high bitrates and presets, then I used the Aux input to encode to LAME, and then DMC not working to encode to LAME at bitrates greater than 160 either preset or manual.

What could the AUx Input have done to screw the setting? It can't be just some transient problem that suddenly appeared as I see the same problem in multiple threads, with varying results.

dmc

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Re: Aux Input utility screws 'opening LAME codec'

Search for lame_enc.dll in dbpoweramp -delete it then reinstall dMC.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• deadmanschest
        • Feb 2004

'cannot open LAME codec over 160kbs'

Originally posted by Spoon
        Search for lame_enc.dll in dbpoweramp -delete it then reinstall dMC.
        Thanks Spoon, but no joy..Same error message;

The only way that I can get a LAME conversion at bitrates >160 is to choose the "Average Bitrate Preset' which says it give me 192. Any other highrate choice gets the error screen.

When I first select MP3 (LAME) with Options, the 'slider' for bitrate shows 160 as the 'highest quality'. As said, I used to always rip at 'CD Preset' which gave me a constant 192...

I'll keep checking around, but I've installed and re-installed in all combos that are possible..heheh

thanks
        Last edited by deadmanschest; February 24, 2004, 02:00 PM. Reason: posted by error...

Comment

• deadmanschest
          • Feb 2004

'Alt Preset ABR' now hooped as well...

Update - Altho the options screen suggested 192 as bitrate for the Alt Preset ABR, I listened to a couple of converted WAV files, and they were poor quality. WinAMp gave file info as about 119 bitrate, VBR. I now tried 'Alt Preset ABR' again, and its reporting a bitrate of 160...?

I should ask the question this way - Should the built-in MP3 (Lame) codec support any bitrates > 160? If it should, then mine ain't working right...

Thanks

dmc

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Re: 'Alt Preset ABR' now hooped as well...

IF the preset is set to non, you can get bitrates higher than 192?

I think there is a slight bug on the presets, it will be investigated shortly.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• deadmanschest
              • Feb 2004

No LAME at bitrates > 160

IF the preset is set to non, you can get bitrates higher than 192?

I think there is a slight bug on the presets, it will be investigated shortly.
              Hi Spoon - thanks for the quick Reply. Sorry that posts are hard to follow - the LAME 'fail to open' just started happening, and I have dis-installed and re-installed dmc and related codecs over and over...sometimes it seems the problem is fixed, but I cannot duplicate the 'fix', it just fails again..

I cannot use the built-in LAME encoder for bitrates > 160 at all, or it 'fails to open'. If I set preset to None, and use the 'bitrate slider' the max available is 160. If I use 'CD preset' (as I used to ) with a default of 192, it now fails. It fails on all other higher quality presets except 'Alt preset ABR' which shows a nominal '192 kbs' but when I listen to the ripped tracks, no way its close to 192 in quality...

If the 'stock version' of LAME in dmc supports greater than 160 out of the box, then there is some other error in mine. I cannot be sure when I installed v.10.1 versus 10.0, because the download page at CNet still lists the version as 10.0. I am sure that in 10.0 I had no prob with 192 using CD preset.

I may try find 10.0 in my backups and try it again just to see...

thanks

deadmanschest

Comment

• deadmanschest
                • Feb 2004

Fixed - reinstall DMC v 9a.....

Hi Spoon - I tried v 10.0, same prob with failure of LAME, so reinstalled 9a and it works fine.

I am encoding at 224 kbs, constant bitrate with LAME and it looks as if the other presets should work as well. Seems the LAME errors have something to do with the way it works in v 10.0 -10.1.

I'll post again if something more illuminating shows up in my install of 9a..
                Thanks.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Re: Fixed - reinstall DMC v 9a.....

As a test save off the Lame_enc.dll file somewhere (from dMC R9), install dMC r10.1 then put the dMC r9 Lame_enc.dll over r10s Lame_enc.dll, does it work?
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• deadmanschest
                    • Feb 2004

Aaaah...spoke too soon...

As a test save off the Lame_enc.dll file somewhere (from dMC R9), install dMC r10.1 then put the dMC r9 Lame_enc.dll over r10s Lame_enc.dll, does it work?
                    Was going to do so, and then last nite the dmc r9 Lame went on the fritz as it did in dmc r10, again 'failing to open' for presets from CD Quality and Studio Quality on up, and for any constant bitrate > 160. So I don't think to install the r9 lame-enc.dll will fix it. The same probs as in r10...

However, I was able to open the LAME this time by setting to VBR with range from 160 and max up into 256 etc, so got good MP3 quality. I think I'll just stick with that for now in r9 and see whether it 'takes' at that setting or acts up again....hehehe.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll play around a bit and see if the LAME will start to behave again.

dmc

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Re: Aaaah...spoke too soon...

Have a look in Codec Central, there is now a Lame command line.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>