title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

WMA Lossless to Ogg-Flac with preserved ID Tags?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Manhapf
    • Feb 2004

WMA Lossless to Ogg-Flac with preserved ID Tags?

Looking for a way to convert my Windows Media Audio Lossless files (40+GB) to OGG-FLAC format while preserving my ID Tags. The idea of re-ripping from CD's or losing the majority of the current tag info just isn't in the cards. Anyone with a solution? Thanks in Advance!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: WMA Lossless to Ogg-Flac with preserved ID Tags?

dBpowerAMP Music Converter with the right codecs from 'Codec Central' will do that.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Manhapf
      • Feb 2004

Forgive me if this sounds newbie, but I've already tried the FLAC and OGG codecs; neither of which or in any combination are identified as OGG-FLAC (lossless OGG). In essence, I'm trying to convert WMA lossless to an OGG-FLAC lossless format with an OGG file extension while preserving my wma Id Tags. I realize that OGG-FLAC is a FLAC file wrapped in an OGG container; have tried WMA to FLAC to OGG, but that just gets me lossy OGG. I must be missing something simple, but am stuck and appreciate your wisdom in advance. Thanks...

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Why do you want it in a Ogg container? it could be better (for compatibility) to have FLAC files as FLAC files.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Manhapf
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Spoon
          Why do you want it in a Ogg container? it could be better (for compatibility) to have FLAC files as FLAC files.
          I'm using a 3rd Party utility, M3U2SB.exe, that properly understands OGG file ID Tags for writing (via Nero ImageDrive) to a Sony NetMD player and properly passes the tags to the Sony Simpler Burner program without manual intervention. It does it fine also for MP3 files, but I want to pass lossless audio to the burner before it transcodes it to Atrac3 lossy; MP3 lossy to Atrac3 lossy even at LP2 mode doesn't sound good to me. FLAC to Atrac3 at LP2 (even LP4) is quite good to me, but the tags aren't passed and require lots of manual intervention. Thanks again.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

There are FLAC plugins for Nero. Would that help?
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Manhapf
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Spoon
              There are FLAC plugins for Nero. Would that help?
              Was all over that, but Nero can't write to a Sony MiniDisc player. Was using Nero (regardless of audio format) for the ImageDrive capability that is 'readable' by the Sony SimpleBurner application that is used to burn the Nero virtual 'CD' to the Sony NetMD player. The problem is that it doesn't transfer the ID Tags to the Sony application (or the Sony appl doesn't know how to read the 'CD' tags since it doesn't expect to have any if it were a real cd) which is where M3U2SB comes in. It mounts the Nero image file via ImageDrive and pushes the ID Tags to the Sony application and this works great for MP3 and normal OGG, but not any lossless codecs as the author wrote this using a set of Audio Tools that are somewhat old (WMA format is v8; thus, no lossless and no ID Tag support for these files); even APE is supposedly supported, but it doesn't like the dbPowerAmp tags that I've tried with it. Hey, it's freeware, so I'm NOT complaining.

Alas, I just used FLAC's tool to create a test OGG-FLAC file and M3U2SB doesn't like its Tags either. Oh well, so much for my original post thought; I'll have to resort to Sony's OMG product SonicStage which doesn't play well with other playlists from other media players and introduces DRM/Checkin/Checkout headaches & extra work unnecessarily.

What I was hoping to do was overcome the deficiencies of M3U2SB, but I'll have to wait for the author to update the program. Thanks for responding!
              Last edited by Manhapf; February 16, 2004, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>