title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Drive Letter not Recognised

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Helter_Skelter
    • Sep 2003

Drive Letter not Recognised

Hi Folks,
    I am not able to SET the Drive letter from which the Ripping is done (I used to have one DVD Drive and another CDRW, I now only have the CDRW which occupies the Drive letter the DVD was assigned).
    When I put a CD in the drive, Windows media player plays it OK?
    This is kinda embarrising but I have just installed 10.1 and have not been able to rip. Help Please,

Cheers

Helter_Skelter
  • Unregistered

Re: Drive Letter not Recognised

Hey Helter Skelter, I just got 10.1 too, I saw the "pick CD drive" option in the options box if you click not the dropdown button but the options button in the dmc CD Audio Input program.

Comment

• Helter_Skelter
      • Sep 2003

Hi,
      Thanks for the tip, have got to that screen and am not given any entries in the Drop down box or the ability to type in the drive letter. Seem to be between a rock and a hard place,

Any further ideas welcomed, cheers,

Helter_Skelter

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Which windows version?
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Helter_Skelter
          • Sep 2003

Hi,
          The new install of 10.1 is on a Windows 98 disk that previoulsy had a working version of 10 Beta. The problem arises due to a change in the rip drive letter.
          Suggestions would be appreciated,
          Cheers,

Helter_Skelter

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Have a look Support >> Audio CD Input - look at the ASPI checking program, and perhaps run the update.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Helter_Skelter
              • Sep 2003

Spoon,
              Thanks for the advice. I visited the Support page and downloaded the Adaptec Version Checker. I ran it and it said that my installation was working. I then downloaded and ran Your ATPI Drive Lister. It only reported my hard drive (connected through a Promise EIDE Controller card and NOT the motherboard controlled devices (CD/RW and ZIP 100 Drive, Z: & Y: respectively). I then followed the instructions to download and updated the Version of the ASPI Drivers, followed your link to ASPI 4.71. I then ran the Adaptec checker, it now reported that I had replaced some files with older versions and that ASPI was not properly installed. I looked around the Adaptec Downloads and found that a Later version ASPI 4.71.2 was available, so I downloaded and ran it. I then ran the Adaptec Version checker and still got the message not properly installed.
              I don't really Know what the implications of this inconsistancy are and how to repair the ASPI installation.
              Would really appreciate some advice on what these results mean practically and how to remedy the situation. Hoping you get a chance to get back to me on this one,
              Cheers

Helter_Skelter

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

If you get the list of files that are linked to ASPI (I don't have them off the top of my head), then search your hard disk for any of those files, if you find them - send them to the recycle bin, reboot and install 4.72
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

I followed your last link to sort things out manually, this involved manually removing all the ASPI files rebooting and replacing them with the Windows 98 origenals (4.60).
                  I did this and then rebooted. I then went to the dbPowerAmp config screen and my CD/RW Drive (Z was available to select. I then ran the adatec Version Checker,
                  it rebported that the installation was not working (as some files were 4.72 and others were 4.60). I ripped a track and DbPowerAmp was working correctly.
                  In the Adaptec 4.71.2 Readme I found the following comments:

Changes Between v 4.60 and v 4.71(this # was not updated from the previous release)
                  ================================================== =====
                  1) It is important the following pairs of files have matching version numbers: (you may not have all of these files; which files you have in your PC depends on which Windows platform is in your PC)

a) wnaspi32.dll and aspi32.sys (Win XP)
                  b) wnaspi32.dll and apix.vxd (Win 98)
                  c) winaspi.dll and wowpost.exe (Win NT)

It is not important, for example, for wnaspi32.dll to have matching version number with winaspi.dll.
                  Disregard any such error message from aspichk.exe.
                  Also Disregard any error message from aspichk.exe regarding files not present.

I then received your reply.

I thought I would revisit and tidy up the installation in the way you suggested. I deleted all the relevant files and rebooted. On booting got a message saying that a file that was being used was missing (I ignored this). I then ran the 4.72 installer and rebooted, I got the same missing file message and when I used the Adaptec Version checker I got a "not properly installed" message
                  and only 2 of the 4 files mentioned were present (less files than a 4.60 install). The installer for 4.72 obviously installs only the files required (ie 2)

It seems that The Adaptec Utility reports on a larger number of files than you would find for a given operating system. However once they are installed the registry is
                  expecting the unused files to be present.

For Microsoft Windows 98 wnaspi32.dll, apix.vxd are the only ones that get used.

I have replaced the Origenal Windows 98 (4.60) Files which report a correct installation, which I cannot achieve with any of the updates. All three devices are enumerated and I am able to rip Ok.
                  I ran the 4.71.2 install again, tested and although the Adaptec checker says it doesn't work, my tests prove it does. This is a very wordy summary, hopefully it might help someone else with the same problem, as the Adaptec Diagnostic program is Unreliable!
                  Thanks for your Help Spoon,
                  Cheers

Helter_Skelter

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

Sounds very complex!, I would put it in the FAQ but not sure what to put...Are you able to put together a simple process of steps?
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Helter_Skelter
                      • Sep 2003

The simple explanation of how to deal with an ASPI failure causing a CD Drive(s) to be recognised under Windows 98 seems to be as follows:

1) Go to Spoons Support Page for Audio CD Input

2) Do not check the ASPI Installation using the Integrity checker (aspichk.exe) as it's results are unreliable (particularly if you have upgraded the ASPI post Windows 98 installation giving a "not properly installed" report message).

3) Do not Patch the ASPI installation (as advised) as you have not got a reliable way of checking if it has worked or not (see 2)

4) Go straight for the last option and delete the specified files and then copy the origenal Windows 98 release ASPI files (4.60), run the program specified and then reboot. At this point because both pairs of ASPI files from the origenal Windows 98 install are present and have the
                      4.60 Version number (only one pair of which are used) the Adaptec Integrity Checker will correctly recognise that your ASPI setup is Good. CD Drive(s) Letter should now be recognised. If that's all you want, leave it there, the rest is messy.

5) Optionally you can if desired now do the upgrade that Spoon suggested to 4.71 or 4.72. The problem with this is these later installations ONLY install the PAIR of ASPI drivers that Windows Actually uses, thus the integrity checker at the end of this process will find a mismatch between the version numbers of the pair used by Windows 98 (wnaspi32.dll and apix.vxd) and the pair and unused (wnaspi32.dll and aspi32.sys). You therefore can only
                      empirically decide if the installation is working

Hope this is understandable and helps, good Luck

Helter_Skelter

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

Thanks
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

I have this problem too, but I am using WinXP.

I habe an PCI-IDE Controller with only one Harddrive on it, because my Mainboard can't handle Harddrives greater than 140GB.

On the Mainboard Controller I have a DVD-R and a CD-RW Drive, but there is no Drive listed in the Options of the Converter.

With APTI-DriveLister I can only see the Harddrive on the PCI-Controller.

Comment

• brandonjp
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Mar 2003

I'm running Windows XP Home and Audio CD Input will sometimes not recognize my drive. (I've had other problems from time to time like not ripping at all or not ripping the first track) It's ran fine until about a month ago when it stopped recognizing my external firewire DVD+/-RW drive.

So I checked out these posts and thought I'd mess with my setup a bit. Seems to be that whenever I take out the four ASPI related files (take out means I rename them to *.dll.bak - or whatever) Audio CD Input will work fine, but then Nero often will not work. I'm not too clear on my direct problem, but it's not really been a bother to me yet, because I can easily get around it for now.
                            --bp

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

For XP you should use either NT / 2000 device IO or built-in
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>